Michelle Jenneke, the 19-year old Australian who recently placed fifth at the IAAF World Championships in Barcelona, was unanimously declared Champion of the Internet yesterday.
Why? Well, this is why.
Seriously, I ran track, and I’ve never seen anyone warm up like that. I’m confused. It clearly didn’t help (she clipped the first hurdle in the final, leading to a disappointing fifth-place finish) but, yet: I approve. I guess she realized she’s headed for a life of poverty unless she locks up some endorsements. Fortunately for her, she’ll probably be receving some calls soon. (Before you get too excited, though, know that she will not be competing at the London Olympics.)
Still, in case she qualifies for the Rio Games in 2016, here’s everything you need to know about the most attractive hurdler we’ve ever seen. Hop on the bandwagon now, because it’s getting crowded.
– Nobody knew who she was 48 hours ago, except possibly a select few family members.
– She runs finite distances, typically 100 meters, while leaping over 83.8 cm hurdles.
– She tries not to clip said hurdles.
– She sometimes does clip said hurdles.
– She dances sexily to loosen her limbs.
– She is undoubtedly the first women’s junior hurdler to catapult to the front page of Reddit.
– She is a “three-time age appropriate Australian champion in the 100m hurdles.”
– She won a silver medal at the 2010 Youth Olympic Games.
Be sure to check out the wonderfully-made GIFs of her unique warmup routine and race, courtesy of the lovely folks at With Leather.