- Greg Anthony On CNN: It's 'Your Opinion' That Adrian Peterson Is Guilty
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's Hawaii Mansion On The Market For $5.9 Million, Has Very High Door Frames
- 7 Shitty Things That Happened, Or Didn't Happen, In Fantasy Football: Week 2
- Colin Kaepernick Denies Saying Anything For Landmark 'Inappropriate Language' Penalty
- Manning, Elway Dispute Suggestion That Wes Welker's Suspension Was A Shocker
Tamerlan Tsarnaev, The Bombing Suspect Killed This Morning, Once Hoped To Box For The U.S. Olympic Team
As many outlets are reporting, two suspects have been identified in Monday’s Boston Marathon bombings: Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, and his younger brother Dzhokar Tsarnaev, 19. The two are from a Russia region near Chechnya, but have been living in America for years. In fact, Tsarnaev — killed early this morning in Watertown, Mass. during a shootout with police — was a boxer who at one point hoped to compete in the Olympics for the U.S.
The elder Tsarnaev became a permanent legal resident in the U.S. in 2007, and for years trained and competed to become a world-class boxer. In a photo series called “Will Box For Passport,” a gallery produced by Johannes Hirn showed Tsarnaev training at the Wai Kru Mixed Martial Arts center in Boston. The accompanying captions describe Tsarnaev as a deeply devout Muslim with no “American friends.” Hailing from Chechnya, which is part of Russia, Tsarnaev said that — barring Chechnya gaining independence — he would rather box for the U.S. Olympic team than for his home nation.
A few other perplexing pieces of information from the gallery:
He once represented New England in the heavyweight category at the National Golden Gloves competition.
He and his family fled Chechnya in the 1990s due to civil unrest, and came to the U.S. after living in Kazakhstan.
He (had? has?) a pretty attractive half-Italian half-Portuguese girlfriend.
He generally appeared to lead a contented life that included integrating into American society, so much so that he was willing to wear the country’s name on his chest. Something clearly changed between then and now.
You can see the rest of the photos of Tsarnaev here.
- Filed Under:
- Savage Punishment for Laying Hands on Referee
- 'Harry Potter' Actor and MMA Fighter Found Dead
- Seahawks QB Russell Wilson Files for Divorce
- Soccer Kick and Knee Combo is KO of the Week