- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 8 QB Rankings, Starts & Sleepers
- Colin Cowherd Goes Off On Callers Over Kobe Bryant, Lakers: 'They're Done'
- Your Comprehensive Guide To Giants-Royals World Series Intangibles
- Controversy Over: Colt McCoy Will Start For Washington Next Week If RGIII Can't Go
- Browns Offensive Line Using Smarts, Scheme To Pave Way To Solid Start
First Openly Gay Boxer Orlando Cruz Proposes To Boyfriend On Facebook
Orlando Cruz made headlines this past October when he announced that he is gay: kind of a stunning move considering his sport and his native culture. But becoming the first openly gay boxer hasn’t been that big of a deal, which is encouraging, one might say.
Cruz has won both of his fights since the announcement, running his record to 20-2-1. He meets Orlando Salido on Oct. 12 in Las Vegas for the vacant WBO Featherweight title.
But before that, wedding bells? This is also a first: today Cruz became the first openly gay pro boxer to propose marriage. And he did it on Facebook.
The proposal was in Spanish via video, but translated by NBC Latino:
“I wanted to tell you how much I need you and how much I miss you. I know you are a person that means a lot to me and that supports my career and respects it which is very important, but above all you are always there giving me that push that I need. Now more than ever that I have an important fight coming up for the World Championship. I want to tell you that you are a very special person in my life. I am a little nervous, but I want to tell you and share with your friends and my friends if you want to marry me. I want you to be part of my life and me be part of yours.”
His boyfriend, José Manuel, said yes — also with a Facebook video.
- Filed Under:
- Orlando Cruz
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts