- Pretty Much Screwed: Why Your Team Won't Win The 2014 NBA Championship
- Worldstar Hip Hop Does Some Bad NBA Lip Reading
- Burger King Made Fun Of A Soccer Player For Being Fat, Might Get Sued For It
- Fantasy Baseball: Kyle Lohse Deserves More Props
- Notre Dame's Everett Golson Excited To Return After 2013 Suspension
Worst Idea Ever? George Zimmerman To Fight In ‘Celebrity’ Boxing Match
Celebrity boxing matches rarely involve real celebrities. It usually involves people who are at least four hours past their 15 minutes of fame and want some money, i.e. Vanilla Ice, Danny Bonaduce, Tonya Harding.
But the concept of “celebrities” “boxing” has reached a new low: George Zimmerman, infamous for killing unarmed teen Trayvon Martin and his subsequent highly publicized trial and controversial acquittal, has agreed to a March 1 fight with a yet-to-be-named opponent, according to TMZ and confirmed by ABC.
Is this the worst idea anyone has ever come up with? This would be like naming O.J. Simpson as a contestant on “The Bachelor,” or bringing Hannibal Lecter on as a judge on “So You Think You Can Cook?” or whatever stupid reality cooking shows are called. Regardless of your feelings on Zimmerman’s guilt (and in this author’s opinion, he got away with murder), it can’t be argued that considering this person a “celebrity” and promoting him as a “fighter” is one of the most distasteful business decisions in history.
Of course, when money is involved, all sense of good taste goes out the window, which explains why boxing promoter Damon Feldman is doing this. Zimmerman will reportedly donate his portion of the proceeds to charity, but doing this fight is obviously a PR move meant to open further windows of opportunity.
Look, the man was deemed not guilty, and in the eyes of America’s justice system he’s a free man who’s allowed to do what he wants. But this is downright disgusting. We need someone to get in the ring with this guy and teach him a lesson — if not for his past transgressions, then for this boneheaded, moronic, awful decision. We need Iron Mike in the ring with this guy. We need Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao, together. We need Voltron.
If you think you’ve got what it takes to beat this man to smithereens, you can apparently throw your hat into the ring by sending an email to email@example.com. Seriously. Good luck. We’re all counting on you.
Photo via TMZ
- Nelson Frazier Jr. aka Mabel, Big Daddy V Reportedly Dead
- This Sexy Soccer Star Shows It Off In SI Swimsuit Issue
- Sugar Ray Leonard Touts Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s Success
- Abdusalamov's Family Sues NYAC For $100 Million