- You're So Vein: Tour de France Rider Posts Leg Selfie, Causes Uproar
- Yet Another Ridiculously Awesome Zlatan Ibrahimović Goal
- Stephen A. Smith Issues Apology On Monday Morning's First Take
- LeBron Can't Even Pick His Own Number Without Controversy
- Georgia's Todd Gurley Gunning For 2,000 Yards This Season
You Had To Know That Stephen Colbert Would Get To The Root Of This Gay Russian Olympics Controversy
As you recall, Stephen Colbert helped fund the U.S. speedskating team at the last Winter Olympics, and he was very modest about it (“I’m no hero. I’m the guy who funded the heroes, so I’m the bigger hero.”). Now the faux conservative cable pundit whom Colbert portrays on TV is fully supportive of Russia’s plans to arrest people who show pro-gay tendencies at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics.
Isn’ t the IOC asking little enough? Colbert, on Wednesday evening’s “The Colbert Report”:
“The IOC is just asking gay athletes to knock it off for a couple of weeks. Just like in the 1936 Olympic Games when Hitler asked Jesse Owens to ease off on the black.”
It almost seems as if he’s calling the IOC a collection of spineless bureaucrats who are willing to look the other way in the face of the most egregious forms of bullying and discrimination, therefore making a mockery of what the Olympics are all about. Wait, that’s exactly what he’s doing.
Why should gay people “tone it down”, when they’re just like anyone else? How much of a leap would it be to assume that if a country had laws forbidding Jews or Christians from showing any demonstrable evidence of their faith, that the rest of the world should and would condemn those laws?
Of course the segment then ended on a high note:
COLBERT: “We should bring the Olympics back to its native roots, when nothing gay ever happened.” (Shows image above).
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts