- Andrew Luck Is A Top 5 Quarterback And Nobody's Impressed -- Why?
- Two People Shot, One Stabbed In San Francisco World Series 'Celebration'
- Are The Giants Officially A Dynasty? Opinions Vary, We Investigate
- Why Is Everyone Giving Gregg Popovich Shit?
- Ace Jon Lester Makes Pitch For Young Pal Fighting Cancer
University Of Texas Captures Snitch, Loses Dignity In Quidditch World Cup Final
Meanwhile, at North Myrtle Beach, SC, on Saturday, Texas won its second straight Quidditch World Cup title, which is a thing that happens no matter how much you try to wish it away. From the tournament web site:
Texas defeated Texas State University by a score of 130*-70 in the finals of World Cup VII. Margo Aleman, one of the many newcomers to Texas Quidditch, caught the snitch to complete UT’s title defense.
Keys to the game:
Meanwhile, the beater game was wild and scrappy. Assistant referees issued multiple yellow cards to beaters from both teams, resulting in many changes of bludger control.
Eat your heart out, ESPN SportsCenter.
Please note that Quidditch is probably the fastest-growing college sport, with hundreds of organized teams all over the world. There are 300 recognized teams in the International Quidditch Association, of which the top 80, representing about 1,200 players, descended on North Myrtle Beach for the World Cup. Some are international (Great Britain, New Zealand), but most are U.S. college teams.
One can’t just show up and play this “sport”: being based as it is on the Harry Potter novels, it’s probably no surprise that there are more than 700 rules, and a 172-page rule book. The finer points can be found here, but the basics are thus:
Quidditch is a co-ed contact sport with a unique mix of elements from rugby, basketball, and dodgeball. A quidditch team is made up of seven athletes who play with brooms between their legs at all times. While the game can appear chaotic to the casual observer, quidditch is an exciting sport to watch and is even more fun to play.
I’ll take your word for it.
READ: Wingardium Nerdiosa … The Quidditch World Cup Is This Weekend, and U. of Miami Is A Favorite [SportsGrid]
- Filed Under:
- texas longhorns
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts