- This Is The Week That Was: It's Sportscrap For Sunday, Sept. 14
- RGIII Is Injured Again ... DeSean Jackson Also Hurt (With Updates)
- Dan Snyder: NFL 'Fortunate' To Have Roger Goodell As Commissioner
- NBA 2K15 News: Put Any Player From Any Era On Any Team For Any Reason
- Manning, Elway Dispute Suggestion That Wes Welker's Suspension Was A Shocker
ESPN Lays Off The Schwab, Dickie V Is Sad
ESPN resident statistics guru Howie Schwab — who you probably know from the show he once hosted called Stump The Schwab — was laid off. The Worldwide Leader had a second round of 2013 layoffs yesterday, and Schwab unfortunately did not survive. His popular trivia show pitted him against sports fans and featured questions involving sports statistics.
Stump The Schwab lasted four seasons, coming to an end in 2006. Since then, Schwab has served as a coordinating producer on SportsCenter and previously as an occasional sit-in on the popular First Taken. Apparently, The Schwab and ESPN had some issues related to his salary, which might have been a bit too high for ESPN’s liking considering he hasn’t had his own show in seven years.
Schwab offered the following comment on his Facebook page yesterday:
A number of sports broacasters and writers took to Twitter yesterday to voice their displeasure with the firing. Schwab was a favorite around the office in Bristol.
— Tim Brando (@TimBrando) June 12, 2013
Seeing Howie Schwab in the hallways at ESPN with his jersey du jour and a big bag of chips was always a delight. #thatsucks
— Michelle Beadle (@MichelleDBeadle) June 12, 2013
Sad that my buddy Howie Schwab was part of the cutbacks due to financial decisions. Howie has been a great help to me – wish him the best!
— Dick Vitale (@DickieV) June 12, 2013
It will be interesting to see if any other networks are interested in Schwab’s services. Nobody knows sports statistics like this guy, and his show could be resuscitated with the right host and the right format on the right network. I’m looking at you, Fox Sports 1.
- Cheerleader Dances Through Laughable Wardrobe Mishap
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'