- Iowa State Fans Mock Marcus Smart With Coordinated Mass Flopping Routine (Genius)
- Johnny Weir And Tara Lapinski Commentate 30 Rock's Lunchtime Free Skate
- How Does Lionel Messi's On-Field Vomit Attack Stack Up Against The 7 Grossest Puke Vids In Sports History?
- Everybody Is Hating On The NBA's Sleeved Jerseys
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
SHOTS FIRED: Mike Francesa’s YES Network Simulcast Is Being Replaced By Michael Kay’s ESPN Radio Program
ESPN and the “New Yawk Yankees” are teaming up to simulcast Michael Kay’s radio program in the slot Francesa has had for 10 years. Why? Probably because Kay is younger, hipper, already affiliated with YES, funnier, more awake, less Diet Cokey, and smarter. Plus, he doesn’t absolutely despise the internet.
[NY Daily News] The 10-year+ simulcast relationship between WFAN’s Mike (Sports Pope) Francesa and the YES Network will be over by the end of January, the Daily News has learned. YES will replace Francesa’s afternoon drive show with ESPN-98.7’s “The Michael Kay Show.”
Also, Francesa’s little A-Rod ass-kissing stunt undoubtedly pissed off some higher ups at the YES Network — which may very well have influenced the change.
[NY Daily News] Behind the scenes there has been speculation Francesa giving Alex Rodriguez an exclusive platform on his show may have rankled YES and Yankee brass, thus speeding up The Pope’s departure.
Ya, as a general rule, when your employer is feuding with someone, don’t take their side (though an exec claims the change was already in the works before the A-Rod stuff happened).
But the real story here is that Kay and Francesa have always had an icy relationship — which is pretty much par for the course with Francesa, who is universally disliked by his colleagues in the industry. We’re sure they’ll both be cordial about the whole change, but the undertones will be apparent when they finally address the move.
Francesa will act as if the change doesn’t matter (which will be hard to do if his show doesn’t get picked up for simulcasting by another network).
Kay will secretly be pumping his fist in celebration (and so will we).
H/T NY Daily News
- Cavaliers' Andrew Bynum Suspended For Scandalous Affair?!
- Real Basketball Wives That Cheated On Their Ballers
- Which Golfer Has This Sick California Mansion?
- Rare Photos of The Undertaker as a Teenager