- BREAKING: Swimsuit Model Nina Adgal Is Pretty Good At Basketball
- Insults From An Idiot: CNBC's Sports Betting Scam Artist 'Steve Stevens' Won't Stop Sending Us Hilarious And Incoherent Emails
- Roger Federer Could Miss The French Open Due To Paternity Leave
- How To Use 10 Different Machines Without Working Anything Other Than Your Biceps
- Notre Dame's Everett Golson Excited To Return After 2013 Suspension
Shit Just Got Real: Sergio Garcia Makes ‘Fried Chicken’ Remark About Tiger Woods, Later Apologizes
In common parlance, this is called “pulling a Zoeller”, or if you prefer, “Committing a Fuzzy.” We’re not sure what the penalty is, but we have a hunch that Sergio Garcia is about to find out.
While speaking on stage at the European Tour Dinner at the Sofitel Hotel, Heathrow Airport in London on Tuesday night, Garcia was sharing jovial banter about his feud with Tiger Woods. Asked if he would be inviting Woods to dinner anytime soon, Garcia said, according to The Guardian:
“We’ll have him round every night. We will serve fried chicken.”
Several guests at last night’s awards dinner were clearly shocked by Garcia’s comment, while one leading Tour professional said: ‘You didn’t hear that’ as he walked past journalists present.
So now the feud between Garcia and Woods has been upgraded from Code Fuchsia to Code Orange, which means I may actually begin paying attention. You know the history here (if you don’t, we explain below). But the passive-aggressive poking of one another has now taken a somewhat ugly turn.
Congratulations to Sergio Garcia for reaching #1…on the list of people who should probably just stop talking, passing Dwight Howard
— CJ Fogler (@cjzero) May 22, 2013
Garcia later issued an apology through the European Tour, saying that the remark wasn’t meant to be racist.
“I apologize for any offense that may have been caused by my comment on stage during the European Tour Players’ Awards dinner,” Garcia said. “I answered a question that was clearly made towards me as a joke with a silly remark, but in no way was the comment meant in a racist manner.”
Hard to figure otherwise, when there are so many non-racist food items he could have chosen. It all brings to mind Zoeller, who in 1997 ruffled some feathers (sorry) when talking about Woods winning the Masters, his first victory at a major. The winner traditionally gets to pick the menu for the following year’s dinner. Zoeller remarked of Woods:
“You pat him on the back and say congratulations and enjoy it and tell him not serve fried chicken next year. Got it? Or collard greens or whatever the hell they serve.”
Zoeller later apologized, saying he had been misunderstood. Yeah, um …
The Woods-Garcia Feud Timeline:
- Jessie James and NFL Star in Provocative Shoot
- Sugar Ray Leonard Touts Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s Success
- Pacquiao Actually Enjoyed Beating Tim Bradley
- Paulie Malignaggi Badmouths Manny Pacquiao