- Brian Hoyer Is A Ford Bronco; Johnny Manziel Is A 1970's Jaguar. What Would You Choose?
- Jason Whitlock Explains Why The Seahawks Might Think Russell Wilson 'Isn't Black Enough'
- Lisa Ann Takes 19-Year-Old Notre Dame WR To Knicks Game, Sex Town
- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 8 FLEX Rankings, Starts & Sits
- Browns Offensive Line Using Smarts, Scheme To Pave Way To Solid Start
Calif. High School Senior Tosses 66-Pitch Perfect Game, Celebrates With Even More Efficient Tweet
He doesn’t look a thing like Kenny Powers (see previous post), but Michael Strem brings the Thunder anyway. Strem, the only senior on the St. Francis High School of Mountain View (CA) roster, threw a 66-pitch perfect game to lead the Lancers over Monta Vista of Cupertino, 2-0, in the Central Coast Section Div. I playoffs last week.
Yeah, that’s 66 pitches in a seven-inning game, or an average of 9.4 pitches per inning. That’s amazing for any pitcher in a high school game, let alone in the playoffs. It was the first perfect game in school history.
You may remember the St. Francis baseball program from such hits as Eric Byrnes (who went on to play for the A’s and Diamondbacks), Dan Nava (Red Sox), Daniel Descalso (Cardinals) and John Gall (Marlins, 2008 Olympic baseball team); plus Doug Cosbie (Cowboys All-Pro tight end) and Linda Cardellini (Freaks and Geeks! and Mad Men). Also for its heated West Catholic Athletic League rivalry with nearby Serra High of San Mateo, which produced Barry Bonds and Tom Brady.
Is Strem a future pro?
Strem struck out eight while throwing 66 pitches, 48 for strikes.
Mark Cardinalli drove in the game’s only runs with a single in the sixth inning. Aside from that, Monta Vista’s Peter Stern matched Strem zero for zero. Stern allowed three hits, walked three and struck out eight in six innings.
Strem had eight strikeouts, and word on the street (that street is about seven miles from where I’m writing this) is that he’s heading to Boston College in the fall.
But one of the best things about the feat was this modest Twitter celebration:
— Michael Strem (@mstrem10) May 16, 2013
Yep. Act like you’ve been there before.
Perfect game hashtag celebration = Silicon Valley.
St. Francis beat Valley Christian San Jose in the second round, and plays again tonight.
- Filed Under:
- perfect game
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts