- SPORTSGRID ORIGINAL: The Future Of The Knicks (As Told By An 8-Year-Old)
- Colbert Interviewed John Calipari Amidst A Show About Cockfighting
- Today In Bolivian Soccer ... A G-G-G-G-Ghost?! (VIDEO)
- The NCAA's Talking Bench Sounds Like A Prison Inmate On The Prowl
- Notre Dame's Everett Golson Excited To Return After 2013 Suspension
Calif. High School Senior Tosses 66-Pitch Perfect Game, Celebrates With Even More Efficient Tweet
He doesn’t look a thing like Kenny Powers (see previous post), but Michael Strem brings the Thunder anyway. Strem, the only senior on the St. Francis High School of Mountain View (CA) roster, threw a 66-pitch perfect game to lead the Lancers over Monta Vista of Cupertino, 2-0, in the Central Coast Section Div. I playoffs last week.
Yeah, that’s 66 pitches in a seven-inning game, or an average of 9.4 pitches per inning. That’s amazing for any pitcher in a high school game, let alone in the playoffs. It was the first perfect game in school history.
You may remember the St. Francis baseball program from such hits as Eric Byrnes (who went on to play for the A’s and Diamondbacks), Dan Nava (Red Sox), Daniel Descalso (Cardinals) and John Gall (Marlins, 2008 Olympic baseball team); plus Doug Cosbie (Cowboys All-Pro tight end) and Linda Cardellini (Freaks and Geeks! and Mad Men). Also for its heated West Catholic Athletic League rivalry with nearby Serra High of San Mateo, which produced Barry Bonds and Tom Brady.
Is Strem a future pro?
Strem struck out eight while throwing 66 pitches, 48 for strikes.
Mark Cardinalli drove in the game’s only runs with a single in the sixth inning. Aside from that, Monta Vista’s Peter Stern matched Strem zero for zero. Stern allowed three hits, walked three and struck out eight in six innings.
Strem had eight strikeouts, and word on the street (that street is about seven miles from where I’m writing this) is that he’s heading to Boston College in the fall.
But one of the best things about the feat was this modest Twitter celebration:
— Michael Strem (@mstrem10) May 16, 2013
Yep. Act like you’ve been there before.
Perfect game hashtag celebration = Silicon Valley.
St. Francis beat Valley Christian San Jose in the second round, and plays again tonight.
- Filed Under:
- perfect game
- Sugar Ray Leonard Touts Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s Success
- Abdusalamov's Family Sues NYAC For $100 Million
- Marcos Maidana Gets Ready for Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- Cassius Clay vs. Sonny Liston: The Real Story