- Jason Whitlock Explains Why The Seahawks Might Think Russell Wilson 'Isn't Black Enough'
- How The World Series Could Be Decided By The Right Field Wall At AT&T Park
- Royals Tried To Bribe 'Marlins Man' To Move From Seat Behind Home Plate, Failed
- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 8 FLEX Rankings, Starts & Sits
- Browns Offensive Line Using Smarts, Scheme To Pave Way To Solid Start
State High School Hockey Title Game Ends In Tie After 7 OTs. Thanks, Obama
So there’s some hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth going on among the hockey meat-eaters over the fact that an Ohio state high school championship game was allowed to end in a tie. Sylvania Northview and Cleveland St. Ignatius played seven overtimes Saturday before both coaches and OHSAA administrators decided to end things and declare the teams co-state champions, because player safety and all. The match ended in a 1-1 draw.
— Will Kunkel (@KunkelW) March 9, 2014
“This is an opportunity to show that wins and losses, even in a state championship game, are not more important than player safety,” the OHSAA said in a statement. “Had a player been seriously injured in the eighth overtime due to fatigue, the decision to allow the game to continue would have been seriously questioned more than the decision to end it.”
Apparently some are not cool with this. Not only were the players obviously disappointed, but this being ‘Murica (damn straight! Yeah!), and this being hockey, some feel that a tie is akin to communism. They even play until someone wins in chess, don’t they?
Then this happened:
And now some assorted comments from the ESPN article on the game:
John Heher · Top Commenter · Gonzaga University
Ties shouldn’t exist, ridiculous decision. Furthering the pussification of America, great!! (23 likes)
Robert Snyder · Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Another example of today’s “Everybody is a winner, Everybody gets a trophy” society (71 likes)
Justin Coamey · Gas Locator at Orange & Rockland Utilities
It’s funny how all you people are praising everyone for calling the game for player health reasons.. So research shows a 8th ot would of badly injured or killed someone? Where is this research. Also the research most show that playing the 7th ot was just as safe as playing the first one? You Are all clowns.. YoU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME HELLLLOOO
My thoughts: how to they share the trophy? Do the schools get joint custody? (Trophy wearing seat belt in dad’s Subaru being driven to Sylvania Northview for the weekend). Or is it split in half, Judgment of Solomon style?
- Filed Under:
- Hockey Tie
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts