- The Most Powerful Photo From The Sochi Winter Games
- You Know It's Spring Training When Curtis Granderson Is Rubbing Your Butt
- Baron Davis's Comeback: Part 3
- Off The Grid: Rule Changes, Video Game Memories And Attempted Improv
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
Cross Country Ski Gold Medalist Waited 28 Minutes At Finish Line To Shake Hands With Guy Who Came In Last
Most brutal of the Winter Olympic events? Of course you’d have to pick the one in which every athlete collapses when he finishes. Yep, there’s no wacky pants or brooms in cross country skiing. Switzerland’s Dario Cologna won the gold medal on Saturday, and of course took a snow nap for five or six minutes at the finish line. But in an inspiring act of Olympics sportsmanship, he waited there a total of 28 minutes so that he could shake hands with the guy who came in last, Roberto Carcelen.
The 43-year-old Carcelen is Peru’s first Winter Olympian and has only been skiing since 2005. He was also competing with broken ribs as the result of a training accident just two weeks before the Olympics.
Cologna did not have an easy race either, having just finished a grueling 39-minute, 15 km course with a close finish at the end.
But 28 minutes later, and 11 minutes after every other skier had finished, Carcelen struggled down the final stretch. He was greeted by a standing ovation from the fans and grabbed a Peruvian flag from the crowd. Carcelen (bib no. 92), who finished 87th, crossed the finish line and was first greeted by Dachhiri Sherpa of Nepal (bib no. 91), who finished 86th in the event. And then, to the likely surprise of everybody, Cologna appeared, still carrying his skis, to greet both competitors with a handshake.
Wait, Sherpa? From Nepal? OK that makes sense.
- Filed Under:
- Winter Olympics
- Ian Kinsler, Brian McCann Offseason Moves Could Have World Series Implications
- Manu Ginobili's Shoe Exploded During a Game
- Pistons Fans Start Petition For Rasheed Wallace To Coach
- Jeweler Loses $200K At All-Star Game