- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 8 QB Rankings, Starts & Sleepers
- Colin Cowherd Goes Off On Callers Over Kobe Bryant, Lakers: 'They're Done'
- Your Comprehensive Guide To Giants-Royals World Series Intangibles
- Controversy Over: Colt McCoy Will Start For Washington Next Week If RGIII Can't Go
- Browns Offensive Line Using Smarts, Scheme To Pave Way To Solid Start
Awkward ESPN Interview With Andrew Wiggins Poses Cringeworthy Question: ‘Do You Think Cleveland Wants You?’
First of all, Andrew Wiggins isn’t totally blameless here. He attempts to sleepwalk through this ESPN SportsCenter interview while on the set of a a photo shoot for Panini trading cards — it seems (at first, at least) like he just literally fell out of bed and was hooked to a mic. The fumbling with the earpiece didn’t help either.
But ESPN, WTF? Journalism question of the year so far:
WIGGINS: “I just want to play for a team that wants me. So whichever team wants me I’ll play for.”
ESPN: “Do you think that Cleveland wants you?”
WIGGINS: (Smiles awkwardly, pauses). “Yeah. (Pause) I hope so.”
Wiggins, the Cavs’ No. 1 overall pick, can’t be traded until Aug. 23 per NBA rules. So a potential deal for the Timberwolves’ Kevin Love — the only solid trade possibility involving Love at this point — has put Wiggins in limbo. We know this and ESPN knows this, so why browbeat the rookie with awkward, leading questions?
At one point ESPN asked Wiggins if he’d talked with LeBron James about all this. Of course Wiggins said hadn’t, and that LeBron is probably too busy right now even if he (Wiggins) had wanted to try and contact him. What was ESPN hoping for here?
IMAGINARY WIGGINS RESPONSE: “Yes I have! Here’s an exclusive transcript of our private conversation.”
Earlier today Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor confirmed that Love has demanded to be traded, and that such a deal would likely go down before the end of the month. It’s pretty much what we already knew, though.
But come on, ESPN — please don’t fill the vacuum between now and the end of August with stupid interviews like the one above.
- Filed Under:
- andrew wiggins
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts