- You're Drafting Rashad Jennings Way Too Late
- 49ers' Ray McDonald Arrested On Domestic Violence Charges
- This Is Totally Your Year: The 2014-15 Pittsburgh Steelers Season Preview
- Bob Arum: Pacquiao Mayweather Fight Going To Happen In 2015
- Tony Stewart: Kevin Ward Jr.'s Death Will Affect Me Forever
John Salley Says Michael Jordan Isn’t One Of The Top Five Greatest Players Of All Time
John Salley, whom you may know from his days as host of The Best Damn Sports Show Period or perhaps his days averaging seven points and four rebounds per game en route to four NBA championships, is “a Michael Jordan fan.” But while speaking to ESPN’s Colin Cowherd, Salley said he doesn’t put MJ in his top five players of all time.
He says Magic Johnson is the greatest ever. No mention of today’s players or Chamberlain/Russell/anyone that played before his own era.
Watch the video:
Next, was Larry Bird. Then, Kareem Abdul-Jabbaar. The hardest guy I had to guard? Hakeem Olajuwon…and then Kevin McHale… And the greatest player I’ve ever played with… (mumbo jumbo about playing with MJ, Pippen and Kobe)… Isiah Thomas is the best player I’ve ever played with.
John Salley probably knows more about basketball than I ever will. But tell me your head didn’t just explode.
His argument had something to do with some shot that went off the backboard (and went in and won a game, I think?) in 1981 that people “ridiculed” Jordan for, or something. And his big hands and updated hand-check rules. And something about technical fouls. Seriously, ISIAH THOMAS?
“(Jordan)’s a good player… he’s a great player. But he wasn’t the best. I watched Joe Dumars and Dennis Rodman push him left and him shoot 32 times. So I was in a situation where we weren’t worried about it. We just knew that if he pushed him left, and he picked the ball up, he couldn’t pass it. *evil smile*
Again, here’s the moment that started it all.
I just don’t think he’s the greatest player ever. I think the greatest player I’ve ever played against was Magic Johnson.
Here’s his face, frozen, after that comment.
It almost appears that he’s serious, but you can decide for yourself. If Skip Bayless ever dies — if trolls can die, that is — ESPN has found its replacement host for First Take.
- Who's The Smartest Fighter in UFC?
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- 10 Hottest Moms in the Sports World
- Christy Mack, War Machine and Why the Internet Blames Women for Domestic Violence