- The Most Powerful Photo From The Sochi Winter Games
- You Know It's Spring Training When Curtis Granderson Is Rubbing Your Butt
- Baron Davis's Comeback: Part 3
- Off The Grid: Rule Changes, Video Game Memories And Attempted Improv
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
The Murder Charge Against Oscar Pistorius Was Upgraded, And Could Land Him In Jail For Life
As you know, Oscar Pistorius, the amputee Olympic sprinter for South Africa, was charged for the murder of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp. But now things have gotten worse for Blade Runner, as prosecutors are pursuing a premeditated murder charge, saying that he planned the shooting. The story:
The elevated charge could mean that Pistorius spends the rest of his life in jail.
Following the hearing, Pistorius’ family and his London management company issued a statement calling into question the criminal charge the 26-year-old athlete faces.
“The alleged murder is disputed in the strongest terms,” the statement read. The statement did not elaborate.
The statement also said Pistorius wanted to “send his deepest sympathies to the family of Reeva.”
There was a bit of encouraging support for Pistorius, too.
Those who knew Pistorius, including a former girlfriend, also weighed in on social media.
Trish Taylor, mother of Pistorius’ ex-girlfriend Samantha Taylor, wrote on Facebook: “I’m so glad Sammy is safe and out of the clutches of that man.”
But another ex-girlfriend, Jenna Edkins, defended Pistorius in messages Friday on Twitter.
“All I am saying is let him speak, let his side be heard without jumping to conclusions,” Edkins wrote. She offered “love and support” to the Pistorius family and wrote: “I have dated Oscar on and off for 5 YEARS, NOT ONCE has he EVER lifted a finger to me or made me fear for my life.”
We’ll keep you posted, and some additional footage of Pistorius in the courtroom can be seen below:
- Ian Kinsler, Brian McCann Offseason Moves Could Have World Series Implications
- Manu Ginobili's Shoe Exploded During a Game
- Jay-Z Hit With $600M Trademark Lawsuit
- Pistons Fans Start Petition For Rasheed Wallace To Coach