- FANTASY FOOTBALL: NFL Week 9 Picks & Game Previews
- Belichick Not Impressed With Mike Golic's Bill Belichick Costume
- Andrew Luck Is A Top 5 Quarterback And Nobody's Impressed -- Why?
- Is A Kobe Bryant Trade On The Horizon? A Few Rumored Scenarios...
- Ace Jon Lester Makes Pitch For Young Pal Fighting Cancer
When The St. Paul Saints Let An Atheist Group Sponsor Their Game, They Become The “Mr. Paul Aints”
We’ve written some before on bizarre minor league promotions, and those of the St. Paul Saints in particular. There was the time they gave out whoopee cushions to commemorate the deflation of the Metrodome. There was the play on Anthony Weiner’s… troubles. And, of course, Zombie Night. But they’ve outdone themselves this time – on August 10, the Saints will have a different name… because they’re being sponsored by an atheist group for a night.
That’s right: the team named the “Saints” playing in a city named after a saint is giving itself over to Minnesota Atheists, “a community for nonbelievers” that includes “mak[ing] atheism part of the mainstream of society” among its stated goals. Of course, as we said, they won’t be the Saints that night: they’ll be the Mr. Paul Aints, and will wear “Mr. Paul Aints” uniforms to boot. Oh, and if that’s not enough, Dave Silverman, president of American Atheists and the guy who inspired Bill O’Reilly to say “You Can’t Explain That,” will throw out the first pitch.
We have to say, despite the Saints obviously being their own entity and obviously not averse to weird promotional stunts, we’re a little surprised they went through with this. They must have a fair number of religious fans, to say nothing of religious players on the team. They wouldn’t be thrilled about this change, no? Or maybe we’re overthinking it, and everybody sees this for the one-night goof that it is.
Still, we wouldn’t be surprised to see a hyper-religious group show up in protest: it’s an atheist takeover of the national pastime, after all. We’d say, “Somewhere, Christopher Hitchens nods in approval,” but something tells us he wouldn’t have wanted us to.
[h/t Uni Watch]
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts