- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 5 Waiver Wire Pickup Power Rankings
- Notre Dame-Syracuse Fans Brawl In Douchebag National Championship
- Will Ferrell, Chris Rock And Kevin Hart Wish Derek Jeter Farewell
- More FIFA 15 Glitches, Like The Nude Midfielder And Ball-Less Throw-In
- Reggie Bush's Comments On Disciplining Daughter Could Prompt Investigation
Visions Of Grantland: Bill Simmons’ Lost Opportunity To Do Something New
I feel like I came into my own as a high schooler and college sportswriter during the hey day of ESPN’s Page 2. I still stalk anything Paul Lukas writes thanks to the uber-specific UniWatch pieces. Every time I tell Dan Shanoff how much the original Daily Quickie influenced my own writing style, I get worried that he’ll block my e-mail address.
The writing was clever, thought out. Simmons was a natural fit there, because the audience could tolerate the use of the first person pronoun and a personal story here and there. Writers have back stories, after all. This was about them, their stories, in a clever insight into the life of sports as we all watch it.
Sure, the colors were the bold red and yellow of ESPN, but, in most cases, the content – the words on the page – would have fit nicely on the white background, Georgian-texted Grantland:
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts