- ESPN Is The Distraction, Not Michael Sam
- Fantasy Football: Week 1 QB Rankings, Starts And Sleepers
- Just Kidding: Nebraska Wide Receiver's Behind-The-Back-Catch Is Already This Season's Best
- Grab Nick Foles, Watch For Tim Wright And Other Last Minute Draft Tips
- Tony Stewart: Kevin Ward Jr.'s Death Will Affect Me Forever
A List Of Pro Athletes Making Less Than Derek Jeter This Year
The end of a career is always tricky. It’s like the end of any relationship. It can either be a graceful conclusion to a life’s work — a respectful homage — or it can be a cold reminder that business is, well, a business, and peoples’ values, like assets, decay with time.
The supposedly cash-strapped Yankees are opting for the former with Derek Jeter, and rightfully so (good guy, helped turn around the franchise, etc.) How is Brian Cashman showing his gratitude for Jeter’s 18 years of service?
[ESPN] Despite coming off an injury-plagued season, the New York Yankees chose to reward captain Derek Jeter for his years of good service by re-signing the shortstop Friday to a $12 million contract for 2014.
That’s actually a $2M raise. For, um, what exactly?
[ESPN]If Jeter had picked up his option, his luxury tax number for next season would have been in the $10 million range, according to sources with knowledge of the how the luxury tax works. With the new salary, it will be in the $12 million range.
Sources said Steinbrenner felt it was worth it so the Yankees did not have to deal with Jeter opting out during an offseason full of questions.
Wow, that’s a big paycheck for a 40-year-old guy who can’t field his position or hit or stay healthy. But just how big is this one-year-deal relative to other professional sports contracts? Um, big. If not simply because there aren’t any 40-year-olds making this kind of money anywhere in sports. Here’s a list of notable athletes — in their prime — who will be making less than $12M this season (or in the case of baseball, last season).
Allen Craig + Edward Mujica + Lance Lynn + Matt Carpenter + John Jay
(Does that list need to continue?)
- Cheerleader Dances Through Laughable Wardrobe Mishap
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'