- Jason Whitlock Explains Why The Seahawks Might Think Russell Wilson 'Isn't Black Enough'
- The Good, The Bad, And The Unsettling About Kevin Love's Role On The New-Look Cavs
- Royals Tried To Bribe 'Marlins Man' To Move From Seat Behind Home Plate, Failed
- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 8 FLEX Rankings, Starts & Sits
- Browns Offensive Line Using Smarts, Scheme To Pave Way To Solid Start
Angels’ SP Garrett Richards Out For Season
For a team called the Angels, they sure are cursed. Remember how the season began? Hitting Coach Don Baylor fractured his femur catching (catching!) the ceremonial first pitch.
In recent years the team had a hitter break his ankle during a walk off grand slam HR celebration (Kendry Morales) and had a starting pitcher tragically lose his life in a traffic accident after a game (Nick Adenhart), but this year is still shaping up to be a bad one for injuries, even by their standards.
— America's Pregame (@AmericasPregame) August 21, 2014
Pitchers Sean Burnett and Tyler Skaggs are out after having Tommy John Surgery, and lefty reliever Joe Thatcher will be out longer that thought with an ankle injury. And now comes word that starter Garrett Richards is done for the season with a torn patellar tendon. Richards injured it covering first base, and now his potential Cy Young season is over.
The Angels had all the momentum in the AL West, and while they likely will make the playoffs, it may now be as a Wild Card team. But without their best starter, they may have trouble winning the Wild Card play-in game. Coincidentally, the team made a post-waiver trade deadline acquisition today, getting infielder Gordon Beckham from the White Sox. But unless he can pitch (he can’t), they’ll need to make another trade fast (they do).
And as for the rest of the Angels, I’d make sure your health insurance is current and wrap Albert Pujols in bubble wrap.
Photo via Getty
David Young has been a columnist with ESPN and Sports Illustrated, and is now one for SportsGrid.com. Follow him on Twitter @turkeysflying.
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts