- Iowa State Fans Mock Marcus Smart With Coordinated Mass Flopping Routine (Genius)
- Johnny Weir And Tara Lapinski Commentate 30 Rock's Lunchtime Free Skate
- How Does Lionel Messi's On-Field Vomit Attack Stack Up Against The 7 Grossest Puke Vids In Sports History?
- Everybody Is Hating On The NBA's Sleeved Jerseys
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
Baseball Is Adding Coach Challenges Next Season, Here’s How It’ll Work…
Baseball has a been called “a game of inches.” That’s why it’s so important to incorporate video replay — human error is unnecessarily rampant in the sport’s officiating. Just ask Jim Joyce and Armando Galaraga. Next season, all that will change, as a system will be put in place that allows managers to communicate with their own replay booths, call timeout, and notify umpires they would like to challenge the ruling on the field.
It was unanimously accepted by all 30 Major League clubs.
Considering coaches do not wear headsets like they do in football, we’re pretty certain there will be quite a few frantic sprints over to that review phone, in order to get an idea if they should, in fact, challenge the play. Bodes well for 43-year-old Mike Matheny, not so much for 64-year-old Terry Collins.
• Instead of losing a timeout as a penalty for being wrong, as coaches do in the NFL, baseball managers will simply not be able to challenge for the rest of the game.
• Managers will only be allowed to challenge a maximum of two plays per contest.
• Home runs and foul balls will be reviewable under the same rules from last season.
• Instead of a little tent, Crew Chiefs will have a headset located near home plate, whereby they can communicate with another Major League ump located at the MLB Advanced Media headquarters in New York, who will review the play and send down the ruling.
• In the instance that a manager no longer has challenges after the start of the seventh inning, umpires will be permitted to review the following plays:
[Via Business Insider]
Ground rule doubles
Stadium boundary calls
Fair/foul in the outfield
Trap play in the outfield
Batter hit by pitch
Timing play (whether a runner scores before a third out)
Touching a base
- Pacers Trade Danny Granger to Sixers for Evan Turner
- LeBron Buys Teammates Championship Belts
- Joes Reyes Can Rap?
- Virgil Hunter: Manny Got Put to Sleep