- The First Trailer For Mike Tyson's New Cartoon, Mike Tyson Mysteries, Is Hilarious (VIDEO)
- Madden 15 Player Ratings: Top 5 Offensive Linemen
- Jimmy Fallon's 'Late Night Superlatives': Tour de France Edition
- The NBA Needs To Consider Relocation To Seattle And Louisville, Not Expansion
- Power Ranking The Most Offensive Team Names In Sports History
Bobby Valentine Joking About How Many Times He’s Been Fired Is… Kind Of Depressing
Yeah, I get the humor here. I appreciate (though can’t say we’re surprised by) Bobby V’s ability to laugh at himself, and I realize that his firing in Boston especially was not only a foregone conclusion but a downright necessity, given how 2012 worked out for the Sox. And yeah, now he has not only this nebulous CBS promotional thing but also the AD gig at Sacred Heart, so as far as people who’ve been fired a bunch of times go, he’s doing quite well. Even so, it’s hard not to watch this and think, “Man, that’s a lot of pink slips”:
OK, yes, it’s true that Valentine can have an abrasive way with people, that he helps sow the seeds of his own demise with his attitude. But even though the viewer is being invited to laugh because Valentine’s in on the joke, it struck me as a little depressing even to watch someone get fake-fired all those times in a row, as did the idea of getting fired all those times being the joke.
Yeah, the latest jobs numbers look encouraging, but not enough for someone getting fired a bunch of times – even Bobby V – to be a real big laff-fest. Apologies for the heapin’ helpin’ of killjoy this may dump on your Friday – and seriously, the ad isn’t bad; if you come away with an entirely different feeling after watching it, I won’t be surprised in the least – but that’s where it made my head go.
Well, that plus the thought that executives all over the world have remarkably similar offices.
- Filed Under:
- bobby valentine
- Undefeated Holly Holm Signs with Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Michelle Nicolini Joins Legacy Fighting Championship
- Claudia Gadelha is UFC's First Strawweight Champ
- Fighting Hotties Land on Maxim's Hot 100 List