- Fantasy Football Offensive Primer For The 2014 NFL Season
- Holy Crap Ernie Johnson Does A Spot-On Shaq Impression
- Brian Hoyer Is The Starter In Cleveland, But Not For Long
- The NFL's VP Of Officiating Explains The Crazy Spike In Penalties
- Brett Favre Talks Returning To Green Bay, No Regrets About NFL Career
The Hold Steady’s Craig Finn Pens, Sings Minnesota Twins Anthem (Audio)
It’s a good time to be a Minnesota Twins fan. They just clinched the AL Central title (their sixth in nine years), their franchise player is signed up long-term…and now, they have a musical tribute from a well-respected, Minnesota-bred rocker that doubles as one of the better baseball anthems we’ve heard.
That rocker: Craig Finn, frontman for The Hold Steady and huge Twins fan. It’s not Finn’s first foray into baseball-related fare (this Twins-centric “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” cover, specifically), but the Twins references in this one (titled Don’t Call Them Twinkies) are way more inside, um, baseball.
Finn actually didn’t write the music to the song, but he wrote the words and sings. Steve Wynn of The Baseball Project, a baseball-themed supergroup that came up with the idea for the song, wrote the music.
We enjoyed the track, which does feel Hold Steady-ish (given Finn’s vocals, that makes sense), as well as loving references to Kent Hrbek, the 1987 and 1991 World Series (the Twins won both), and disdain for the Braves’ Tomahawk Chop, which he even derisively, outstandingly referred to as the “Fonda-Hawk Chop” (after Braves owner-at-the-time Ted Turner’s wife).
One thing is clear in the song – Finn’s fandom is clearly legit. Jack Morris’ famous 10-inning shutout in Game 7 of the 1991 World Series is the stuff of legend, but the controversy involving Hrbek and the Braves’ Ron Gant earlier in the series (scroll down to “auditioned for the WWF” in that ESPN link) – that’s something for true Twins wonks. (I had to look it up).
It’s always fun when two of your interests collide – they certainly did here, and in pretty delightful fashion. The audio is below.
H/T Big League Stew
- Filed Under:
- Minnesota Twins
- Savage Punishment for Laying Hands on Referee
- Miller vs Diaz Feud Is Getting Nastier
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?