- 14 Reasons Why We're Looking Forward To The Sochi Winter Olympics
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Opposes Washington NFL Nickname Change
- Goal Of The Year: Luis Suarez Puts Some English On It
- Why Didn't Anyone Want To Buy Barry Bonds' Outrageous Beverly Hills Mansion?
- Column: Because Of Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo For Golden Ball
Report: The MLB Has ‘Hundreds’ Of Emails, Texts And Phone Records Tying A-Rod To Years Of PED Use
The MLB is effectively giving Alex Rodriguez a choice: a suspension that would last more than 200 games, or a lifetime ban from the sport. And they’ve reportedly got the evidence to back up such a penalty.
According to the New York Daily News, the league has “hundreds of emails, text messages and phone records that show Rodriguez engaged in performance-enhancing drug use in 2010, 2011 and 2012, and possibly longer, and that he and his representatives impeded Selig’s investigation.”
This evidence is apparently so damning that regardless of whether A-Rod accepts a deal or not, he will be tagged with the longest suspension for performance-enhancing drug use in MLB history, and soon. League officials are hoping that A-Rod will accept a deal today that suspends the slugger from now until the end of the 2014 season — which, if effective immediately, would mean a ban of 219 games. If A-Rod rejects the deal, the MLB will look to ban him for life.
The catch for A-Rod: By accepting a plea deal, he would likely retire and then enter into negotiations for recouping the remainder of the money left on his deal through 2017, which is worth around $60 million. If he rejects it and opts to fight a lifetime ban, he would have less recourse if he loses that arbitration battle.
No matter what, it appears that the final chapter of the Rodriguez-Yankees soap opera is about to be written. This sad saga can’t come to an end fast enough. Can we get back to talking about Yankees that are actually good at baseball now?
Photo via Getty
- Top 5 Reasons the New York Giants Suck
- Will Peyton Manning Break Tom Brady's Touchdown Record?
- What Will The Bears Do Without Cutler?
- Moment Of Truth Fight in the Philippines