- Fantasy Football: Week 8 Waiver Wire Pickup Power Rankings
- Peyton Manning Is Still Eight Touchdowns Behind Brett Favre, If You Include Pick-Sixes
- Of Course The Cowboys' Joseph Randle Has Signed An Underwear Endorsement Deal
- The Bucks Are Gathering Investors -- Will They Be Enough To Keep The Team In Milwaukee?
- Browns Offensive Line Using Smarts, Scheme To Pave Way To Solid Start
The Diamondbacks’ New Mascot Is a Lucha Libre Wrestler Because They Have Latino Fans And This Definitely Isn’t Racist Or Anything
The MLB took to Twitter today to introduce the world to the D-backs Luchador, the new racist and stereotypical mascot of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
— MLB (@MLB) July 18, 2013
What thought process went into this decision? What group of important, well-paid public relations executives sat around a conference room table and decided that the best way to appeal to the team’s Latino fan base was with a lucha libre wrestler?
What was the second option behind the Luchador on the list of ideas? A giant walking burrito? A chubby dude in a poncho and sombrero duel-wielding pistols? A matador? A flamenco dancer?
This is the same crack team of marketing geniuses that thought it would be a good idea to shorten the team’s name to “D-Backs” and put that on their jerseys, so this shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise.
For some more entertainment, check out the Luchador’s Twitter account (@DbacksLuchador), on which he tweets (occasionally in Spanish) about the team.
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts