- You're So Vein: Tour de France Rider Posts Leg Selfie, Causes Uproar
- Yet Another Ridiculously Awesome Zlatan Ibrahimović Goal
- Stephen A. Smith Issues Apology On Monday Morning's First Take
- LeBron Can't Even Pick His Own Number Without Controversy
- Georgia's Todd Gurley Gunning For 2,000 Yards This Season
The Diamondbacks’ New Mascot Is a Lucha Libre Wrestler Because They Have Latino Fans And This Definitely Isn’t Racist Or Anything
The MLB took to Twitter today to introduce the world to the D-backs Luchador, the new racist and stereotypical mascot of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
— MLB (@MLB) July 18, 2013
What thought process went into this decision? What group of important, well-paid public relations executives sat around a conference room table and decided that the best way to appeal to the team’s Latino fan base was with a lucha libre wrestler?
What was the second option behind the Luchador on the list of ideas? A giant walking burrito? A chubby dude in a poncho and sombrero duel-wielding pistols? A matador? A flamenco dancer?
This is the same crack team of marketing geniuses that thought it would be a good idea to shorten the team’s name to “D-Backs” and put that on their jerseys, so this shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise.
For some more entertainment, check out the Luchador’s Twitter account (@DbacksLuchador), on which he tweets (occasionally in Spanish) about the team.
- New England Patriots Cheerleader's Final Auditions
- Richard Sherman Drops Millions on Mega Mansion
- Brett Favre Shows Off His Bulging Muscles
- The Top 10 Hottest NFL Draft WAGs