- Davis, Rainey & Brown Among Top Week 3 Waiver Options
- Can The NFL's Off-The-Field Violence Problem Be A Symptom Of Widespread PTSD?
- Massive Freak J.J. Watt Might Become A Serious Tight End Option For The Texans
- Don't Be Offended By This 'Ray Rice Makeup Tutorial' Video: It's Brilliant
- Reggie Bush's Comments On Disciplining Daughter Could Prompt Investigation
The Diamondbacks’ New Mascot Is a Lucha Libre Wrestler Because They Have Latino Fans And This Definitely Isn’t Racist Or Anything
The MLB took to Twitter today to introduce the world to the D-backs Luchador, the new racist and stereotypical mascot of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
— MLB (@MLB) July 18, 2013
What thought process went into this decision? What group of important, well-paid public relations executives sat around a conference room table and decided that the best way to appeal to the team’s Latino fan base was with a lucha libre wrestler?
What was the second option behind the Luchador on the list of ideas? A giant walking burrito? A chubby dude in a poncho and sombrero duel-wielding pistols? A matador? A flamenco dancer?
This is the same crack team of marketing geniuses that thought it would be a good idea to shorten the team’s name to “D-Backs” and put that on their jerseys, so this shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise.
For some more entertainment, check out the Luchador’s Twitter account (@DbacksLuchador), on which he tweets (occasionally in Spanish) about the team.
- Christy Mack, War Machine and Why the Internet Blames Women for Domestic Violence
- Jets Unsuccessfully Attempt to Convince Superfan to Return to Games
- 10 Of The Most Gorgeous Women In Sports Today
- MMA Fans Protest Over Brock Lesnar