- SportsGrid's Week 16 NFL Pick$: Last Week Was Painful
- Eagles Cheerleader Transitions To Special Ops Soldier
- The 50 Greatest Sports Moments Of 2013 (VIDEO MONTAGE)
- NFL Logos Transformed Into Soccer Badges (Round 2)
- Former Rutgers Player Sues Over Ex-Basketball Coach Rice's Behavior
The Diamondbacks’ New Mascot Is a Lucha Libre Wrestler Because They Have Latino Fans And This Definitely Isn’t Racist Or Anything
The MLB took to Twitter today to introduce the world to the D-backs Luchador, the new racist and stereotypical mascot of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
— MLB (@MLB) July 18, 2013
What thought process went into this decision? What group of important, well-paid public relations executives sat around a conference room table and decided that the best way to appeal to the team’s Latino fan base was with a lucha libre wrestler?
What was the second option behind the Luchador on the list of ideas? A giant walking burrito? A chubby dude in a poncho and sombrero duel-wielding pistols? A matador? A flamenco dancer?
This is the same crack team of marketing geniuses that thought it would be a good idea to shorten the team’s name to “D-Backs” and put that on their jerseys, so this shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise.
For some more entertainment, check out the Luchador’s Twitter account (@DbacksLuchador), on which he tweets (occasionally in Spanish) about the team.
- Maurice Jones-Drew May Hurt Your Roster This Week
- Dwight Howard Admits He Was an Addict
- Sergio Pettis vs. Alex Caceres Is On
- Top 5 Candidates To Replace Mack Brown As OSU's Head Coach