- NFL WEEK 5 POWER RANKINGS: Stop The Madness, Please
- The NFL Will Never Solve Its Concussion Problem
- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 5 QB Rankings, Starts & Sleepers
- Twitter Reacts To Tom Brady's Worst Game Ever
- Reggie Bush's Comments On Disciplining Daughter Could Prompt Investigation
Top 10 MLB Hitters Over The Past Calendar Year
Looking back at the second half of last season, and pairing it with the stats from this season, can give us an interesting look at the second half of this season … What?
One of our favorite stat sites is FanGraphs.com, which does an awesome job of breaking down the baseball world if you haven’t given it a shot. One of the coolest features is that they’ll show you baseball stats over the past calendar year. You can even go back to the past THREE calendar years, which is pretty cool/useless, too! I wrote a piece on the top Fantasy players at each position for SI earlier this week!
Top 10 Hitters Over the Past Calendar Year
While you can sort the stats in any way you like, FanGraph’s default rankings is sorted by WAR (Wins Above Replacements), which is something we’ll abide by here. It’s a good way to see the best players at different positions compared against each other.
1. Mike Trout, OF, L.A. Angels
- .315 BA, 34 HR, 111 RBI, 110 Runs, 22 SB, 10.2 WAR
This year’s rank: 1st
2. Andrew McCutchen, OF, Pittsburgh
- .331 BA, 29 HR, 98 RBI, 99 R, 22 SB, 9.0 WAR
This year’s rank: 3rd
3. Troy Tulowitzki, SS, Colorado
- .320 BA, 30 HR, 82 RBI, 102 R, 2 SB, 7.2 WAR
This year’s rank: 2nd
4. Carlos Gomez, OF, Milwaukee
- .288 BA, 24 HR, 78 RBI, 88 R, 36 SB, 6.9 WAR
This year’s rank: 5th
5. Josh Donaldson, 3B, Oakland
- .258 BA, 29 HR, 100 RBI, 101 R, 6 SB, 6.9 WAR
This year’s rank: 11th
6. Hunter Pence, OF, San Francisco
- .303 BA, 26 HR, 89 RBI, 107 R, 16 SB, 6.6 WAR
This year’s rank: 19th
7. Paul Goldschmidt, 1B, Arizona
- .299 BA, 31 HR, 109 RBI, 109 R, 14 SB, 6.1 WAR
This year’s rank: 12th
8. Matt Carpenter, 2B, St. Louis
- .297 BA, 6 HR, 69 RBI, 115 R, 5 SB, 6.1 WAR
This year’s rank: 21st
9. Robinson Cano, 2B, N.Y. Yankees
- .333 BA, 13 HR, 101 RBI, 77 R, 8 SB, 5.8 WAR
This year’s rank: 17th
10. Jonathan Lucroy, C, Milwaukee
- .304 BA, 15 HR, 76 RBI, 78 R, 10 SB, 5.7 WAR
This year’s rank: 9th
Interestingly, just outside of the top 10 are Alex Gordon, Jayson Werth and Freddie Freeman. Who do you think is set up for a great second half?
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts