- Everybody Is Hating On The NBA's Sleeved Jerseys
- The Most Powerful Photo From The Sochi Winter Games
- Meet The World's Most Moronic Douche Bro: This UC Santa Barbara Fan
- Off The Grid: Rule Changes, Video Game Memories And Attempted Improv
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
Welcome To Buctober: The Pirates Are Going To The Playoffs For The First Time Since 1992
This just in: 1992 was a long time ago. In fact, some who are reading this may not have even been alive then. What was happening in 1992? Tom Brady was a sophomore at Serra High School in San Mateo, CA. End of the Road by Boyz II men was the No. 1 song (as if you didn’t know). And Barry Bonds and Kirk Gibson were teammates with the Pittsburgh Pirates.
That’s also the last time the Pirates made it to the postseason — before today.
Pirates celebrating! pic.twitter.com/gQhluufhuu
— Mikey (@fsmikey) September 24, 2013
Pittsburgh’s 2-1 win over the Cubs (ah, Chicago … yours is a sad tale, and a dream for another year), plus the Nationals’ 4-3 loss to the Cardinals, clinched the playoff spot for the Pirates. It’ll be St. Louis, Atlanta, Cincinnati (which also clinched today) and Los Angeles in the NL postseason. But the Giants are still defending champs! IT’S STILL OURS FOR ANOTHER MONTH, YOU JERKS! (Captures author in butterfly net, hauls him away).
Reaction to the Pirates making it has been, um, pretty tremendous.
This is how the Pirates locker room looked at the beginning of the season – pic.twitter.com/73nfk9SJPM
— Steve Braband (@stevebraband) September 24, 2013
World Series tickets for Dodgers, Pirates & Reds pic.twitter.com/Hu1IFHsfaV
— darren rovell (@darrenrovell) September 23, 2013
— David B. (@Davidbiondo) September 24, 2013
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 24, 2013
Today, we’re all Pirates fans. Which is good, because the tickets are cheaper.
- Filed Under:
- pittsburgh pirates
- John Fox The Sixth Head Coach To Lead Two Franchises To Super Bowl
- Will There Ever Be Another Tony Gonzalez?
- Trade Bait: The Fate of Chris Johnson
- 2014 New Orleans Saints Unrestricted Free Agents