- Our NBA Power Rankings: Once Again, Everyone Is Underestimating The Spurs
- U.S. Men Smashed The 4x400 Relay Record, Reportedly Received 'Love' Afterwards
- Minnesota Representative's Racist NBA Tweet Leaves A Big Mess
- Oh ... Oh No. Here's The Helmet An Arena League Team Will Be Wearing This Season
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
Will 100 Million Dollar Man Masahiro Tanaka Be Derek Jeter’s Successor As The Face Of The Yankees?
Forget the 24-0 record. Forget the 1.27 ERA. Forget the sub 1.000 WHIP. Forget the 183 strikeouts. And definitely forget that he pitched 212 innings last season. All you need to know about Masahiro Tanaka throws a disgusting/nasty splitter. Like, dirty. So filthy, that his asking price has now reportedly been elevated to $17 million per year. Should he get his way, that number could rise, giving him one of the richest contracts in baseball history. Details…
[NESN] The 30-day posting period for Tanaka began Thursday. Any major-league team can negotiate a contract with Tanaka as long as it’s willing to pay the Eagles a $20 million fee on top of whatever it agrees to pay the Japanese pitcher. It’s been speculated that Tanaka could earn a contract in excess of $100 million, and that possibility seems even greater if the starting price in negotiations indeed is $17 million annually.
By our count, there have been 65 contracts over $100 million to date. This would immediately make the 25-year-old starting pitcher one of the wealthiest athletes on Earth, and guess who it looks like will be signing his checks?
Yankees have already talked to Tanaka's agent – Masahiro Tanaka | INT http://t.co/pgIXc6KDe5
— Rotoworld Baseball (@Rotoworld_BB) December 27, 2013
So much for staying under that $190 million salary mark. The Mariners are expected to continue their spending spree, as they’re rumored to be involved in the bidding as well — but “close” relations between Tanaka and Derek Jeter’s agent, Casey Close, suggest he’s New York bound. Regardless of where he winds up, expect a deal to be done sometime around the January 24th, 5 p.m. deadline.
Photo via Getty
- Trainer Robert Garcia Spills Marcos Maidana secrets
- Marcos Maidana Drops Jaws
- Tyson Fury Returns to the Ring
- Does Ruslan Provodnikov Strike Fear In Juan Manuel Marquez?