- FANTASY FOOTBALL: NFL Week 9 Picks & Game Previews
- Belichick Not Impressed With Mike Golic's Bill Belichick Costume
- Andrew Luck Is A Top 5 Quarterback And Nobody's Impressed -- Why?
- Is A Kobe Bryant Trade On The Horizon? A Few Rumored Scenarios...
- Ace Jon Lester Makes Pitch For Young Pal Fighting Cancer
Will 100 Million Dollar Man Masahiro Tanaka Be Derek Jeter’s Successor As The Face Of The Yankees?
Forget the 24-0 record. Forget the 1.27 ERA. Forget the sub 1.000 WHIP. Forget the 183 strikeouts. And definitely forget that he pitched 212 innings last season. All you need to know about Masahiro Tanaka throws a disgusting/nasty splitter. Like, dirty. So filthy, that his asking price has now reportedly been elevated to $17 million per year. Should he get his way, that number could rise, giving him one of the richest contracts in baseball history. Details…
[NESN] The 30-day posting period for Tanaka began Thursday. Any major-league team can negotiate a contract with Tanaka as long as it’s willing to pay the Eagles a $20 million fee on top of whatever it agrees to pay the Japanese pitcher. It’s been speculated that Tanaka could earn a contract in excess of $100 million, and that possibility seems even greater if the starting price in negotiations indeed is $17 million annually.
By our count, there have been 65 contracts over $100 million to date. This would immediately make the 25-year-old starting pitcher one of the wealthiest athletes on Earth, and guess who it looks like will be signing his checks?
Yankees have already talked to Tanaka's agent – Masahiro Tanaka | INT http://t.co/pgIXc6KDe5
— Rotoworld Baseball (@Rotoworld_BB) December 27, 2013
So much for staying under that $190 million salary mark. The Mariners are expected to continue their spending spree, as they’re rumored to be involved in the bidding as well — but “close” relations between Tanaka and Derek Jeter’s agent, Casey Close, suggest he’s New York bound. Regardless of where he winds up, expect a deal to be done sometime around the January 24th, 5 p.m. deadline.
Photo via Getty
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts