As you may have heard by now, Tony Stewart struck and killed fellow driver Kevin Ward Jr., 20, during a sprint car race in upstate New York, after Ward got out of his car to challenge Stewart over driving tactics, and Stewart hit him with his car. Stewart was supposed to race today in the NASCAR event at Watkins Glen, NY, and apparently had every intention of doing so, until officially dropping out of the race just moments ago.
— Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) August 10, 2014
The incident is still under investigation.
Kevin Ward Jr had crashed following contact with Stewart one lap earlier and got out of his car as it was stopped along the fence at Canandaigua Motorsports Park. Video of the incident showed Ward walking from his crashed car on to the racing surface as cars circled by – as he gestured at Stewart’s passing car, he was struck.
Authorities questioned Stewart but said no criminal charges were imminent. Stewart traveled to Watkins Glen International following the incident and initially planned to race for his Stewart-Haas Racing team in Sunday’s Nascar event.
Warning: the video below is rather graphic, so, discretion and stuff.
Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero said Stewart was “visibly shaken” and had been co-operative in the investigation. Authorities were asking spectators and others to turn over any video of the crash.
“This is right now being investigated as an on-track crash and I don’t want to infer that there are criminal charges pending,” Povero said. “When the investigation is completed, we will sit down with the district attorney and review it. But I want to make it very clear: there are no criminal charges pending at this time.”
So many racing fans are a little cheesed off that Stewart was even considering racing today. It appears that he wanted to race, but someone stepped in and advised him not to. It’s even possible that NASCAR would have banned him, had it come to that. Someone made the right decision in the end.
Just staggering that Tony Stewart even thought for a minute that it might be appropriate to race today.
— Ian O'Connor (@Ian_OConnor) August 10, 2014
Good thing ESPN's NASCAR contract isn't guiding their narrative of Tony Stewart as the victim in wrong place/ wrong time. (Sarcasm! It is!)
— Spill Chryst (@IAmSpilly) August 10, 2014
Somebody smart stepped in and recognized it does nobody any good for Tony Stewart to race today. So now it's official: He will not race.
— Gary Parrish (@GaryParrishCBS) August 10, 2014
So Tony Stewart changed his mind after he "slept on it." I might have had a little trouble sleeping right after that, but that's just me.
— Dan Bernstein (@dan_bernstein) August 10, 2014
— mike freeman (@mikefreemanNFL) August 10, 2014