- The LFL Continues Its Quest To Be The Favorite Sport Of Douchebags
- Three Bizarre Sports From The Commonwealth Games
- Judge Rules Against Donald Sterling, Allows Sale Of Clippers To Steve Ballmer
- Point-Counterpoint: David Ortiz's Showboating Bat Flip Vs. The Rays
- Georgia's Todd Gurley Gunning For 2,000 Yards This Season
Adam Silver Gets Around To Talking About Donald Sterling’s Fate At Late-Night Presser: NO SUSPENSION YET
If there’s any reason to hold a press conference at 8:30 PM on a Saturday night, before an important playoff game between the Grizzlies and Thunder, it’s to
condemn and punish talk about Donald Sterling, whose awful racist comments in a phone call with his multiracial girlfriend have caused a league-wide uproar.
And after talking first about the sad passing of former Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley, and then praising the success of the Memphis franchise (yeah, let’s get that out of the way first), Silver discussed the “alleged” Sterling audio. Here’s the full video:
In summation: Silver says that Sterling deserves “due process” as a member of the “NBA family” and will NOT suspend him, or take any definitive action, at this point. The investigation is on-going.
Silver: We plan to have this “wrapped up” in the next couple of days, presumably before the next Clippers game in L.A.
This afternoon, the guys at NBA on TNT said they believed Sterling needed to be suspended immediately. Everyone from Snoop to Magic Johnson denounced Sterling on social media. Any person with a brain and heart knows that this guy is an asshole and a vestige of an era that we’d prefer to think of as the past.
Thankfully for those interested in justice, however small the measure, the NBA does have broad powers that can be used to protect the interests of the league. But the true punishment may be up to the fans and those in the Clippers organization, who have the ability to hurt Sterling in the only way a billionaire like him understands: by affecting his bottom line.
Photo via Getty
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts