- The LFL Continues Its Quest To Be The Favorite Sport Of Douchebags
- Three Bizarre Sports From The Commonwealth Games
- Judge Rules Against Donald Sterling, Allows Sale Of Clippers To Steve Ballmer
- Point-Counterpoint: David Ortiz's Showboating Bat Flip Vs. The Rays
- Georgia's Todd Gurley Gunning For 2,000 Yards This Season
Fire Near Arena In Mexico City Forces Evacuation At Spurs-Timberwolves Game
If there’s one thing you should know about me, it’s that I won’t watch an NBA game in an arena that’s rapidly filling with smoke. The amazing thing about this incident — the scheduled game between the Spurs and Timberwolves at Arena Ciudad de Mexico in Mexico City that was cancelled due to a fire near an elevator — is that some on hand thought that it was some sort of pregame fireworks display. Because Mexico’s national animal is the donkey pinata filled with cherry bombs.
“I thought they were practicing fireworks, Spurs TV analyst Sean Elliot said. “A lot of teams do that before introductions. But then the smoke just kept creeping and it wasn’t white smoke. It was like a brown dark smoke and it started taking over the whole court. It was surprising.”
The Spurs-Wolves game has been rescheduled and will be moved to the mouth of a volcano.
As update: Fire near elevator in Mexico City arena has forced evacuation of building where Spurs/Timberwolves to play pic.twitter.com/gVFCW6QFa4
— Kurt Helin (@basketballtalk) December 5, 2013
In an alternate universe, the Maloofs are filing to relocate the Kings to Mexico City right now. "What a lease deal!" they exclaim.
— Tom Ziller (@teamziller) December 5, 2013
If they cancel in Mexico City, NBATV audience deserves to see Gregg Popovich attack these pinatas pic.twitter.com/8NDdAKnpvt
— Andrew Sharp (@andrewsharp) December 5, 2013
The Wolves-Spurs Mexico City game is about as successful as any trip to Tijuana I had in college. And I once walked into a knife fight.
— Zach Harper (@talkhoops) December 5, 2013
- Filed Under:
- San Antonio Spiurs
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts