- Fantasy Football Offensive Primer For The 2014 NFL Season
- Holy Crap Ernie Johnson Does A Spot-On Shaq Impression
- Brian Hoyer Is The Starter In Cleveland, But Not For Long
- The NFL's VP Of Officiating Explains The Crazy Spike In Penalties
- Brett Favre Talks Returning To Green Bay, No Regrets About NFL Career
Ladies And Gentlemen, Your New Earl Boykins/Muggsy Bogues Mini NBA Player: Yuki Togashi
Standing a full foot shorter than your average NBA player, 20-year-old Yuki Togashi is looking to make himself the shortest player in the NBA since Earl Boykins (5’5″), and the first player of Japanese-descent since 2004 (Yuta Tabuse, Suns).
In the history of the league, only two Japanese players ever made an NBA roster.
Yesterday against the Hornets, Togashi went 2-2 from deep, scoring 12 points in 11 minutes. Will that be enough to get him a contract? Who knows — the Mavericks play their final game tomorrow against the Suns so he’ll have one more chance to impress. Plus, it’s not like Dallas is flush with point guard talent after acquiring Raymond Felton in return for Jose Calderon and Shane Larkin. As far as his actual basketball ability is concerned, Yuki can shoot, is a creative passer on the fast-break, and sports that all-important floater that makes guys his size so dangerous.
Let’s just say he’s got a chance.
One thing’s for sure: The Japanese media will be there to cover his historic final attempt at making the team. Here’s how they describe him…
[The Japan Times] The 167-cm guard did not receive Division I scholarship offers in the United States. He returned to Japan and began his pro career with the Akita Northern Happinets in 2013.
Togashi was the All-Star Game MVP on Jan. 26 in Akita, finishing with 23 points and five assists for the victorious Eastern Conference. The 20-year-old led the bj-league with 7.9 assists and averaged 15.6 points per game during the 2013-14 season. He was named to the Best Five Team, becoming the youngest player in league history to earn the honor.
Togashi attended high school at Montrose Christian in Rockville, Maryland. Here’s what he’s done so far in the 2014 Las Vegas Summer League:
[Photo via Wikipedia]
- Savage Punishment for Laying Hands on Referee
- Miller vs Diaz Feud Is Getting Nastier
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?