- Falcons Fans Bro Out, Nearly Ruin Emotional Moment Between Deion Sanders And Devin Hester
- Andy Murray Plays Both Sides Of The Net On Scotland Question
- Peyton Manning Says That Colorado's New Weed Laws Have Been Good For His Pizza Business
- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 3 FLEX Rankings, Starts & Sleepers
- Reggie Bush's Comments On Disciplining Daughter Could Prompt Investigation
This Olympic Commercial’s Goal Is Undoubtedly To Make You Cry
Well, technically it’s more of a joint ad between the Olympics and household product manufacturer Procter & Gamble. But the “goal is to make you cry” thing? There’s no question. And early returns seem to show that the goal was met with much success. Here’s how they did it:
Now, time for me to admit: my reaction to this ad was substantially more Grinchy than the two linked above. It’s not that moms aren’t great – they (mine included, of course) are. Some of it probably has to do with how when I think about parents of prominent athletes, I think, say Marv Marinovich more easily than the many, many awesome ones. And some of it probably has to do with the fact that I initially watched it just believing it was an Olympics commercial. Therefore, the “moms are the best NOW BUY ALL THE TIDE/PAMPERS/GILLETTE/DURACELL PRODUCTS IN EXISTENCE” ending was a jolt.
But I can’t totally hold that against them. After all, it’s a commercial, and commercials try to sell things to you. Playing up that moms are great? That’s a pretty smart way to make people good things about you, and make them more likely to buy your products. And I can’t blame my reaction on a genetic predisposition to disliking heartwarming things: to make sure of that one, I asked my own mom what she thought of the ad (that’s some sound journalism, everyone; take some notes) and her verdict was, despite some misgivings: “[B]rought a tear to my eye.” Oh, hell, I’m pretty clearly outvoted on this one. Good job, P&G, Olympics, and moms.
- Filed Under:
- Savage Punishment for Laying Hands on Referee
- Christy Mack, War Machine and Why the Internet Blames Women for Domestic Violence
- 10 Hottest Moms in the Sports World
- 10 Sexiest Female Tennis Players Ever