- Fantasy Football: Week 8 Waiver Wire Pickup Power Rankings
- Peyton Manning Is Still Eight Touchdowns Behind Brett Favre, If You Include Pick-Sixes
- Of Course The Cowboys' Joseph Randle Has Signed An Underwear Endorsement Deal
- The Bucks Are Gathering Investors -- Will They Be Enough To Keep The Team In Milwaukee?
- Browns Offensive Line Using Smarts, Scheme To Pave Way To Solid Start
This Olympic Commercial’s Goal Is Undoubtedly To Make You Cry
Well, technically it’s more of a joint ad between the Olympics and household product manufacturer Procter & Gamble. But the “goal is to make you cry” thing? There’s no question. And early returns seem to show that the goal was met with much success. Here’s how they did it:
Now, time for me to admit: my reaction to this ad was substantially more Grinchy than the two linked above. It’s not that moms aren’t great – they (mine included, of course) are. Some of it probably has to do with how when I think about parents of prominent athletes, I think, say Marv Marinovich more easily than the many, many awesome ones. And some of it probably has to do with the fact that I initially watched it just believing it was an Olympics commercial. Therefore, the “moms are the best NOW BUY ALL THE TIDE/PAMPERS/GILLETTE/DURACELL PRODUCTS IN EXISTENCE” ending was a jolt.
But I can’t totally hold that against them. After all, it’s a commercial, and commercials try to sell things to you. Playing up that moms are great? That’s a pretty smart way to make people good things about you, and make them more likely to buy your products. And I can’t blame my reaction on a genetic predisposition to disliking heartwarming things: to make sure of that one, I asked my own mom what she thought of the ad (that’s some sound journalism, everyone; take some notes) and her verdict was, despite some misgivings: “[B]rought a tear to my eye.” Oh, hell, I’m pretty clearly outvoted on this one. Good job, P&G, Olympics, and moms.
- Filed Under:
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts