- TOP 13 DUNKS OF 2013-14: Nevada's Deonte Burton Dropped A Yammer
- APOCALYPSE?: A Sports Commissioner Admitted A Mistake And Made Up For It
- Chelsea Handler Claims To Have Talked A Lot Of Shit To A-Rod's Face
- Kirk Cousins Said He'd Welcome Gay Teammate Because 'Nobody's Perfect'
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
Ron Artest Wants To Change His Name To Metta World Peace, Because Why Wouldn’t He?
We like Ron Artest. We like how he’s embraced his off-beat persona. We like that, in spite of still having the occasional flare-up, he’s reformed himself to the point where he won the NBA’s citizenship award this year. Mostly, we like that no matter what, he’s going to be Ron Artest.
So we’re not sure what to think when we hear that, apparently, he doesn’t want to be Ron Artest anymore – name-wise, at least. Apparently, he’s filed to legally change his name to Metta World Peace for “personal reasons.” TMZ first reported the news. On the one hand, we’re a little surprised he hasn’t done something like this already. On the other hand, we’ve grown to like “Ron Artest” and all the name represents. This would be an awfully drastic change. “Chad Ochocinco” was one thing…this would be a complete 180.
Then again, we’d probably get used to it eventually, and while we weren’t used to it, it would probably be amusing to hear him seriously, formally referred to as “World Peace.” And of course, there’s precedent in the form of this guy, though he already had the “B. Free” before the name change. For what it’s worth, Artest’s general manager, Mitch Kupchak, seems more amused by the story than anything:
“It brought a smile to my face. It’s been done before. … So, other than that, I don’t really have a comment.”
Really, we can’t think of much to say ourselves, besides: Metta World Peace. We could see it growing on us. If this is what you want, Ron…you gotta do you.
Getty photo, via (photo enhancements by SportsGrid)
- Cavaliers' Andrew Bynum Suspended For Scandalous Affair?!
- Dez Bryant Releases Shocking Statement
- 15 Hottest Daughters of Professional Athletes
- Rare Photos of The Undertaker as a Teenager