- Power Ranking The Most Offensive Team Names In Sports History
- How Early Can You Draft The Legion Of Boom This Year?
- Kirk Minihane Doubles Down On Being An Asshole To Erin Andrews In On-Air Pseudo-Apology
- Niners Fan Eats It After Getting Juked By Seahawks Mascot
- Georgia's Todd Gurley Gunning For 2,000 Yards This Season
The New Orleans Hornets Are Now The New Orleans
Ryan Andersons Pelicans
The New Orleans Hornets are changing their name to the New Orleans Pelicans, per a Yahoo! Sports report. Tom Benson, who also owns the New Orleans Saints, purchased the team earlier this year, and apparently didn’t think the “Hornets” nickname was cutting it. The change may take place as early as next season. According to Yahoo!:
Louisiana is the Pelican State…
The Hornets also considered the nicknames Krewe (groups of costumed paraders in the annual Mardi Gras carnival in New Orleans) and Brass.
The Twitterverse appeared to be in a state of shock from the switch, producing such gems as:
No word whether the New Orleans Hornets will allow the five-year-old who just chose their new franchise name to coach the team tonight.
— Rob Perez (@World_Wide_Wob) December 4, 2012
Actually, Benson may actually have just done it to be a loving husband.
Gayle Benson, Benson’s wife, told Fox Sports New Orleans recently her preference for new team colors was navy blue, red and gold.
Unfortunately, that means we probably won’t see these cool, prospective jerseys, rendered by ESPN’s UniWatch.
HOWEVER, it must be noted, as you can see at the top of the post, that Ryan Anderson (at just the right angle) appears to be a close relative of the pelican. Strap some wings on the lanky, long-necked sharpshooter and the Pelicans have the world’s first player-mascot. They can kill two birds with one stone! And if Anderson’s play slips, Benson can just offer a bounty to take him out.
The name may not sound intimidating at first, but pelicans are some baaaaaaad birds.
PLAY WITH BOTH EYES OPEN, HAWKS.
- Claudia Gadelha is UFC's First Strawweight Champ
- 10 Hottest Moms in the Sports World
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?