- ESPN Is The Distraction, Not Michael Sam
- Fantasy Football: Week 1 QB Rankings, Starts And Sleepers
- Just Kidding: Nebraska Wide Receiver's Behind-The-Back-Catch Is Already This Season's Best
- Grab Nick Foles, Watch For Tim Wright And Other Last Minute Draft Tips
- Tony Stewart: Kevin Ward Jr.'s Death Will Affect Me Forever
Why Is Jason Kidd’s Number Getting Retired During A Freakin’ Preseason Game?
Tonight, before the start of the Brooklyn Nets/Miami Heat game, Jason Kidd’s seven years with the Nets will be honored and a number five banner will be lifted to the rafters of a building he never played in (by a team he didn’t even technically play for). The weirder part, however, is that tonight’s game doesn’t matter, and relatively no one will be watching. (The game is on TNT, by the way.)
Why not just wait until the first game of the regular season? Well, he’s suspended for the first four games for a DUI offense from over a year ago, so that’s impossible.
Then why not wait until he returns from his suspension? That makes the most sense, but that could potentially draw more attention to the fact that he was suspended, and cast a dark cloud over what should be a happy, nostalgic occasion.
What about waiting until the Mavericks come to town January 24th, and do a joint ceremony with his two most notable former teams?
Because Kidd doesn’t want the attention. “Just want it quick. (Doing it before the regular season) was my choice. During training camp would be even better. It’s not about me. It’s about the players.” As humble as that is, New Jersey Nets fans (and NBA fans everywhere, really) want to see the book close on Kidd’s playing career. Regardless of what he deems the ceremony to be — selfish or otherwise — people want to see it live. It’s like when your mom says she doesn’t want anything for her birthday. We’re getting you something, whether you like it or not.
What do you think about Jason Kidd having his jersey retired before the start of a meaningless preseason game?
- Cheerleader Dances Through Laughable Wardrobe Mishap
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'