- Utah Quarterback Travis Wilson Gets Wrecked Mid-Air And Lands On Head
- NFL Viewing Maps: Broncos At Seahawks, Plus Everything Else
- Lazy Texas A&M Collie Saved From Trampling By Heroic Cadet (Video)
- This One Play Sums Up All Of Saturday's College Football Match-Ups
- Reggie Bush's Comments On Disciplining Daughter Could Prompt Investigation
Strange (He)brew: Amar’e Stoudamire Is Assistant Coach For Canadian Men’s Team At Maccabiah Games
Yep. In what might be called another spiritual trip to explore his Jewish side, Knicks’ forward Amar’e Stoudamire has signed on as assistant coach of the Canadian men’s basketball entry in the Maccabiah Games — the self-proclaimed Jewish Olympics held every four years in Israel. Competitors must be Jewish, or live in Israel.
Stoudamire, who says that he is “Hebrew through my mother”, visited Israel in 2010 and has considered playing basketball there. Now he is The Chosen One — that is, by Canadian men’s head basketball coach John Dore. The Games begin July 18, and will attract 8,500 athletes from 70 countries.
Stoudamire of course is rehabbing from a knee injury, and hopes to be back with the Knicks for the playoffs. New York Times:
The man whom Dore escorted into the gym was his assistant coach for the tournament, Knicks forward Amar’e Stoudemire, whose entrance prompted a hush among the players.
The coming visit promises to be uplifting, too, especially if Canada earns the gold medal, something it last accomplished in 1997. Canada has scored a coup just by getting a star of Stoudemire’s magnitude to Israel, notably a star who professed in his previous trip that he believed he might be part Jewish.
“It was a bit of a dream scenario to reach out to Amar’e because of his discovering his Jewish roots and his playing basketball,” Alex Brainis, the head of Maccabi Canada’s delegation, said. “We figured that if he said yes, this would be a big recruiting tool.”
When offered the post, “Amar’e was nothing but enthusiastic,” Brainis said.
Former Roanoke University head coach Brad Greenberg will coach the U.S. men’s team. Here’s the roster.
- 10 Hottest Moms in the Sports World
- 10 Sexiest Female Tennis Players Ever
- Soccer Kick and Knee Combo is KO of the Week
- KO of the Week: Palomino v Macaco