- Our NBA Power Rankings: Once Again, Everyone Is Underestimating The Spurs
- Fantasy Hoops: Why Not Make The Bucks Your Main Squeeze This Week?
- ESPN To Combine All Non-Bullshit Entities Into New Unit Called 'Exit 31'
- Here's A Photo Of Tony Romo Rooting For Duke
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
Today In Awkward Racial Moments: Doug Gottlieb Offers “The White Man’s Perspective” To African American Panel (UPDATE)
If you’ve ever listened to his radio show, or watched a game Doug Gottlieb has commentated, this won’t be a surprise to you: he is tone deaf. He certainly means well, but whether it’s second guessing players’ split second decisions or barking orders from the broadcast booth as if he were a coach — it’s apparent that he doesn’t realize just how obnoxious he is. Admittedly, his job isn’t easy. But seriously dude, don’t refer to yourself as offering “the white man’s perspective.” That sounds like you’re offering up the perspective of people who identify themselves as “white men,” which just makes everyone think you’re representing a hate group. The “white man’s perspective” sounds like Doug Gottlieb will be analyzing tournament games through the lens of a 19th century plantation owner. Greg Anthony’s reaction says it all.
But if you watch closely (which I can’t without cringing) you will notice that Doug has no idea how utterly inappropriate such friendly racial banter is among coworkers. Welcome to America, Doug, people don’t talk like that anymore! He smiles and delivers the canned line “I’m here to bring diversity to the set,” referring to the all African American panel. Ya Doug, you do bring a nice embarrassing-off-the-cuff-racist-element to an otherwise sports related broadcast. Consider it asquirmative action.
UPDATE: Gottlieb has apologized for the comment:
“It was not a smart thing to say and I apologize.”
While again, he meant no harm, this was the right course of action. For the record, though, Charles Barkley wants all the Gottlieb-haters to quit hating.
H/T Yahoo Sports
- Trainer Robert Garcia Spills Marcos Maidana secrets
- Marcos Maidana Drops Jaws
- Tyson Fury Returns to the Ring
- Does Ruslan Provodnikov Strike Fear In Juan Manuel Marquez?