- NBA Power Rankings: The Final Regular Season Edition
- NHL Playoff Preview: Who's Gonna Win Each First-Round Matchup?
- Damian Lillard Kicks Off Massive Adidas Deal By Insulting Sports Legends
- Minor League Baseball Team To Offer Frog Legs At Concession Stands This Season
- Notre Dame's Everett Golson Excited To Return After 2013 Suspension
Oral Roberts Has To Forfeit Two Conference Games, Because It Misread A Rule…
Oral Roberts is a subpar mid-major college basketball team, and the school second-most-likely to be confused with a brand of toothpaste (Colgate). It also has its basketball schedule created by a bunch of idiots, apparently.
Oral Roberts caught a bad break in what will end up being their second and last season in the Southland Conference.
Due to a weird scheduling rule, the Golden Eagles will have to forfeit league games against Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word.
That sucks. Why?
Here’s what happened: According to NCAA Bylaw 220.127.116.11, “An institution may schedule and play not more than four basketball games, including any contest (e.g., scrimmage, exhibition), in an academic year against institutions that are not members of Division I.” Oral Roberts has played regular season games against Cameron College and Dallas Baptist and exhibitions against Northwood and Rogers State. None of those four teams are Division I programs. That’s ORU’s maximum allotment.
But the issue is that Incarnate Word and Abilene Christian are transitional Division I programs, meaning they are technically members of Division I yet and count against that maximum of four games. As first-year members of the Southland, they only play against other league foes once, and the rest of the team’s in the league were supposed to adjust their schedule accordingly.
Oral Roberts didn’t.
So, they didn’t know the rules. They thought exhibition games were exempt, even though they’re clearly not. The schedule even went through the entire athletic department for approval, a “process that includes several administrators.” So, several levels of incompetence.
Seriously, I feel bad for the players, and I feel like they should at least get some free toothpaste for this debacle.
- Filed Under:
- oral roberts
- The 10 Bloodiest Fights Of All Time
- Controversy Hits The MMA Ring
- UFC 170 Salaries Revealed
- Sugar Ray Leonard Touts Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s Success