- The Most Powerful Photo From The Sochi Winter Games
- You Know It's Spring Training When Curtis Granderson Is Rubbing Your Butt
- Baron Davis's Comeback: Part 3
- Off The Grid: Rule Changes, Video Game Memories And Attempted Improv
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
Oral Roberts Has To Forfeit Two Conference Games, Because It Misread A Rule…
Oral Roberts is a subpar mid-major college basketball team, and the school second-most-likely to be confused with a brand of toothpaste (Colgate). It also has its basketball schedule created by a bunch of idiots, apparently.
Oral Roberts caught a bad break in what will end up being their second and last season in the Southland Conference.
Due to a weird scheduling rule, the Golden Eagles will have to forfeit league games against Abilene Christian and Incarnate Word.
That sucks. Why?
Here’s what happened: According to NCAA Bylaw 188.8.131.52, “An institution may schedule and play not more than four basketball games, including any contest (e.g., scrimmage, exhibition), in an academic year against institutions that are not members of Division I.” Oral Roberts has played regular season games against Cameron College and Dallas Baptist and exhibitions against Northwood and Rogers State. None of those four teams are Division I programs. That’s ORU’s maximum allotment.
But the issue is that Incarnate Word and Abilene Christian are transitional Division I programs, meaning they are technically members of Division I yet and count against that maximum of four games. As first-year members of the Southland, they only play against other league foes once, and the rest of the team’s in the league were supposed to adjust their schedule accordingly.
Oral Roberts didn’t.
So, they didn’t know the rules. They thought exhibition games were exempt, even though they’re clearly not. The schedule even went through the entire athletic department for approval, a “process that includes several administrators.” So, several levels of incompetence.
Seriously, I feel bad for the players, and I feel like they should at least get some free toothpaste for this debacle.
- Filed Under:
- oral roberts
- Cavaliers' Andrew Bynum Suspended For Scandalous Affair?!
- Which Golfer Has This Sick California Mansion?
- Dez Bryant Releases Shocking Statement
- 15 Hottest Daughters of Professional Athletes