- ESPN Is The Distraction, Not Michael Sam
- Fantasy Football: Week 1 QB Rankings, Starts And Sleepers
- Just Kidding: Nebraska Wide Receiver's Behind-The-Back-Catch Is Already This Season's Best
- Grab Nick Foles, Watch For Tim Wright And Other Last Minute Draft Tips
- Tony Stewart: Kevin Ward Jr.'s Death Will Affect Me Forever
UNC Fans Storm The Court After Beating Duke … OK, Or Bush League Move?
One of college basketball’s top rivalries — maybe the top — results in winning team’s fans invading the court. But, it’s a regular season game, and North Carolina is a traditional basketball powerhouse. Shouldn’t their fans act like they’ve been there before?
Well, it was No. 5 Duke, and the 74-66 win by the Tar Heels was their eighth in a row. But still …
Wish UNC hadn't stormd court. Iconic top program..shld EXPECT wins..but..it's Duke..we celebrate..& THIS looks fun. pic.twitter.com/9SXul34Ak3
— Stuart Scott (@StuartScott) February 21, 2014
Not only that, but the party continued out on Franklin Street: did someone just win the National Championship … or kill bin Laden again?
— WRAL NEWS in NC (@WRAL) February 21, 2014
UNC going crazy right now!! pic.twitter.com/zMDF2k5txF
— Harry Giles (@TheReal_HG3) February 21, 2014
Here are some random opinions:
@SethOnHoops: Shocked at the UNC court storm. Another blue blood program goes outside the box. Who is next?
— Seth Greenberg (@SethOnHoops) February 21, 2014
If I see another tweet complaining about UNC storming the court.. People clearly don't understand the emotion that was in that building.
— Will Huggins (@Whuggins4) February 21, 2014
Dick Vitale does not approve of UNC fans rushing the court http://t.co/sUThNwlxWs
— For The Win (@forthewin) February 21, 2014
Which is a bigger topic tomorrow: UNC beating Duke or UNC students rushing the court? Unfortunately, I think it is the latter.
— Rush the Court (@rushthecourt) February 21, 2014
$500 to a UNC student who messes up Krzyzewski's hair while storming the court
— Bobby Big Wheel (@BobbyBigWheel) February 21, 2014
So the Twitter police think I'm the fun police for questioning UNC kids court storming. Fair enough.
— Stewart Mandel (@slmandel) February 21, 2014
Certain programs should never rush the court. UNC is one of them. Case Closed.
— John Jastremski (@john_jastremski) February 21, 2014
— Andy Glockner (@AndyGlockner) February 21, 2014
My official opinion (dodges brick): Storm the court if you must, but also be ready for the fallout for doing so. In a perfect basketball world, rushing the court should be reserved for the lowly underdog only. If Duke had beaten UNC tonight, their past 86 meetings vs. each other would have been 43-43. The Tar Heels have outscored the Blue Devils in those games, 6,638-6,632. Sorry, but that’s as even as it gets among two elite programs.
Here are teams who had a perfect right to rush the court:
* Hickory High in the final game in “Hoosiers”.
* Princeton beating UCLA in the 1996 NCAA Tournament.
* Camp Northstar beating Camp Mohawk in “Meatballs”.
* San Jose State beating anybody.
End of list.
Besides, just once won’t someone think of the custodial staff?
- Filed Under:
- Michelle Nicolini Joins Legacy Fighting Championship
- Arlovski Speaks up on Klitschko Brothers and UFC Return
- 10 Sexiest Female Tennis Players Ever
- Miller vs Diaz Feud Is Getting Nastier