- Davis, Rainey & Brown Among Top Week 3 Waiver Options
- Can The NFL's Off-The-Field Violence Problem Be A Symptom Of Widespread PTSD?
- Massive Freak J.J. Watt Might Become A Serious Tight End Option For The Texans
- Don't Be Offended By This 'Ray Rice Makeup Tutorial' Video: It's Brilliant
- Reggie Bush's Comments On Disciplining Daughter Could Prompt Investigation
Brent Musburger Before Game-Winning Kick: “This Is For All The Tostitos.” (Video)
Some statements are delivered so eloquently, with such conviction and pitch-perfect wording, it’s immediately clear they’ll become iconic. “One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” The Gettysburg Address. “I have a dream.” Well, last night, in the moments leading up to the game-winning field goal, announcer Brent Musburger had a chance to add his brand of gravitas to the huge moment. And what he said just might be remembered for years to come:
“This is for all the Tostitos.”
Indeed it was, Brent. Indeed it was. This struck me as an odd line when I first heard it, and the more one thinks about it, the better it gets. The fact this this conjures up images of Tostitos tortilla chips, rather than confetti, falling from the ceiling after the game. The image in my head that, instead of the crystal football, the winner gets to hold up a bag of those very same Tostitos tortilla chips (in this fantasy world the winners also, per Musburger’s line, receive a lifetime supply of Tostitos products).
This isn’t even getting into the incredibly unnecessary Tostitos product placement (their name was attached to the game; I think they had enough exposure) – not that they were complaining, as CNBC’s Darren Rovell guessed Musburger gave them $2.5 million worth of free publicity. I also quickly found out I wasn’t the only one who found Musburger’s line a little…unusual. SI’s Richard Deitsch tweeted the following:
I just checked, and yes, Washington said, “This is for all the Tostitos” right before he crossed the Delaware.
Well, with all the Tostitos on the line, who wouldn’t be motivated to get out there and win a war? All the Tostitos! That’s SO MANY Tostitos! Possibly even enough to cure Cam Newton’s back pain. Video with Musburger’s line below.
- B.J. Penn Was Called "The Prodigy" for a Reason
- Christy Mack, War Machine and Why the Internet Blames Women for Domestic Violence
- Michelle Nicolini Joins Legacy Fighting Championship
- Savage Punishment for Laying Hands on Referee