- The World Cup Draw Host Was A Brazilian Actress/Model That Looks Like This
- A TV Station Confused Nelson Mandela With A-Rod
- Magic Johnson Discussing His Pre-HIV Sex Life With Oprah Is Unnerving
- Who Deserves The Heisman More: Jameis Winston Or 'Red Lightning'?
- Column: Because Of Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo For Golden Ball
Here Are The Helmets Va. Tech Will Wear On Thursday. Yep
Georgia Tech will wear these white throwback unis as part of their Grant Field 100th anniversary celebration on Thursday. And their opponent, Virginia Tech, will counter with the helmets you see above.
The back will also have a #430 sticker in honor of the 430 alumni who made the ultimate sacrifice while serving our country.
— VT Football (@VT_Football) September 23, 2013
That’s a nice touch. Overall reaction, though, has been, um, mixed.
Graphic design for sport reaches an ALL TIME LOW (and that's incredibly hard to do!) Virg Tech HELMET MY GOD http://t.co/gcbK0mfsxk
— Elliott Earls (@elliottearls) September 25, 2013
Rock out: Hokies dig deep for helmet motif http://t.co/Uk9oMSAOVz Soooo Ugly
— Josh Goldstein (@joshygoldstein) September 25, 2013
Underlying meaning aside, Virginia Tech's "helmet stone" helmets may be the most hideous looking things to ever be worn on a football field
— Ben Murray (@benmurray123) September 25, 2013
— Jesse Varner (@JesseSR910) September 24, 2013
The Hokie Stone motif, of course, is meant to represent the type of rock mined near Blackburg, much of it used to build the Va. Tech campus.
“It’s not flashy, but it means a tremendous amount to this university,” coach Frank Beamer said in a statement. “… The reason I like it, is because it represents what this program and this university are built on. Each piece, in its place, serving its purpose, doing its job, and when it’s all working together, it’s rock solid and it’s something special.”
“… Some may see it as stone on our helmets. We know it’s so much more.”
So if Virginia Tech likes it, who are we to poo-poo the helmet?
- Filed Under:
- Virginia Tech
- Weigh-in Has Alien, Short Cake, Kick-Ass Threats
- 24 Hilariously Unfortunate Names In Sports
- Bradley Speaks On Showdown With Mayweather
- Smartest Fighter in UFC?