- Iowa State Fans Mock Marcus Smart With Coordinated Mass Flopping Routine (Genius)
- Johnny Weir And Tara Lapinski Commentate 30 Rock's Lunchtime Free Skate
- How Does Lionel Messi's On-Field Vomit Attack Stack Up Against The 7 Grossest Puke Vids In Sports History?
- Everybody Is Hating On The NBA's Sleeved Jerseys
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
Here Are The Helmets Va. Tech Will Wear On Thursday. Yep
Georgia Tech will wear these white throwback unis as part of their Grant Field 100th anniversary celebration on Thursday. And their opponent, Virginia Tech, will counter with the helmets you see above.
The back will also have a #430 sticker in honor of the 430 alumni who made the ultimate sacrifice while serving our country.
— VT Football (@VT_Football) September 23, 2013
That’s a nice touch. Overall reaction, though, has been, um, mixed.
Graphic design for sport reaches an ALL TIME LOW (and that's incredibly hard to do!) Virg Tech HELMET MY GOD http://t.co/gcbK0mfsxk
— Elliott Earls (@elliottearls) September 25, 2013
Rock out: Hokies dig deep for helmet motif http://t.co/Uk9oMSAOVz Soooo Ugly
— Josh Goldstein (@joshygoldstein) September 25, 2013
Underlying meaning aside, Virginia Tech's "helmet stone" helmets may be the most hideous looking things to ever be worn on a football field
— Ben Murray (@benmurray123) September 25, 2013
— Jesse Varner (@JesseSR910) September 24, 2013
The Hokie Stone motif, of course, is meant to represent the type of rock mined near Blackburg, much of it used to build the Va. Tech campus.
“It’s not flashy, but it means a tremendous amount to this university,” coach Frank Beamer said in a statement. “… The reason I like it, is because it represents what this program and this university are built on. Each piece, in its place, serving its purpose, doing its job, and when it’s all working together, it’s rock solid and it’s something special.”
“… Some may see it as stone on our helmets. We know it’s so much more.”
So if Virginia Tech likes it, who are we to poo-poo the helmet?
- Filed Under:
- Virginia Tech
- Which Golfer Has This Sick California Mansion?
- Real Basketball Wives That Cheated On Their Ballers
- 15 Hottest Daughters of Professional Athletes
- Cavaliers' Andrew Bynum Suspended For Scandalous Affair?!