- Your 'Sharknado 2' Roundup Post, With Link To Live Streaming, Updates, And The Best 'Sharknado 2' Tweets
- Football In San Antonio? Raiders Meet With City Officials, Eyeing A Move To Lone Star State
- Shocking Madden 15 Cornerback Rankings Put Sherman-Peterson Beef To Rest
- Fun With Baseball-Reference: These Dudes Actually Existed And Went By These Ridiculous Names
- Georgia's Todd Gurley Gunning For 2,000 Yards This Season
ESPNer Calls Female Sideline Reporter “Sweetcakes,” “A—hole,” Is Pulled From Broadcast
ESPN announcer Ron Franklin was pulled from Saturday’s Fiesta Bowl radio broadcast after making crude comments to sideline reporter Jeanine Edwards during a production meeting.
Edwards and Franklin were part of a team that included broadcasters Ed Cunningham and Rod Gilmore. According to SportsByBrooks, Franklin, Cunningham and Gilmore were in the midst of a conversation about Gilmore’s wife recently being elected the mayor of Alameda, California.
As the three men talked, Edwards attempted to join in. That’s when Franklin said, “Why don’t you leave this to the boys, sweetcakes.”
Edwards responded, “Don’t call me sweetcakes, I don’t like being talked to like that.”
To which Franklin said, “Okay then, asshole.”
Edwards reported Franklin to ESPN management and they attempted to pull him from that day’s Chick-Fil-A-Bowl. But when they couldn’t find a replacement on such short notice, they had to stick with Franklin. As SbB notes, the telecast went off without a hitch.
Even so, there would still be consequences. Franklin and Edwards were scheduled to work together the next night on the Fiesta Bowl radio broadcast, but Franklin was pulled. Dave Lamont filled in for him.
Franklin has been working in broadcasting since 1965, and joined ESPN in 1987. He recently signed a contract extension with the network.
Edwards, meanwhile, has been with ESPN since 1995, and is perhaps best known for her appearances on “First Take” and “Sportscenter.”
- 'Harry Potter' Actor and MMA Fighter Found Dead
- 10 Of The Most Gorgeous Women In Sports Today
- Savage Punishment for Laying Hands on Referee
- Brett Favre Shows Off His Bulging Muscles