- Jason Whitlock Explains Why The Seahawks Might Think Russell Wilson 'Isn't Black Enough'
- The Good, The Bad, And The Unsettling About Kevin Love's Role On The New-Look Cavs
- Royals Tried To Bribe 'Marlins Man' To Move From Seat Behind Home Plate, Failed
- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 8 FLEX Rankings, Starts & Sits
- Browns Offensive Line Using Smarts, Scheme To Pave Way To Solid Start
USC Football Captain Josh Shaw Injured Both Ankles Saving His Nephew From Drowning
“The word ‘hero’ is thrown around a lot these days …” — Homer Simpson.
Wow. Trojans senior cornerback Josh Shaw sprained both ankles while leaping from a second-story balcony to save his 7-year-old nephew, Carter, from drowning in a pool. Seems that all this story lacks is a cameo appearance by Stan Lee. New York Daily News:
Shaw was named a team captain on Saturday and later that night was attending a family function at a cousin’s apartment in his hometown of Palmdale when he saw his nephew, who can’t swim, struggling in the pool. With no one around, Shaw told USC’s website that he instinctively jumped from the balcony onto the concrete below and crawled to the pool, where he pulled Carter to safety.
In the movies they make jumps like that all the time, and then run off to shoot bad guys. Real life is a bit different, however.
Unable to step out of the pool because of the pain in his ankles, Shaw lifted himself up the ladder with his upper body. “I would do it again for whatever kid it was, it did not have to be my nephew,” Shaw told the team website. “My ankles really hurt, but I am lucky to be surrounded by the best trainers and doctors in the world. I am taking my rehab one day at a time, and I hope to be back on the field as soon as possible.”
Shaw has two high ankle sprains, and will be out indefinitely. Can a story be sad and inspiring at the same time? Yep.
Big blow to lose secondary stud Josh Shaw, but sometimes life is bigger than football. Kudos to Shaw. http://t.co/Nv3QblmVWu
— Jacob Freedman (@Jacob_Freedman) August 25, 2014
With Josh Shaw out, Chris Hawkins is up next on depth chart although Adoree Jackson could also move over to that spot #USC
— InsideUSC (@InsideUSC) August 25, 2014
- Filed Under:
- Josh Shaw
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts