- IS CLIFF LEE DONE?: MLB Trade Deadline Deals, Injuries, Tidbits And Trends
- Golfer Dustin Johnson Suspended Six Months For Positive Cocaine Test
- Jonny Gomes' Last Words As A Member Of The Red Sox: 'Boston Strong'
- Madden 15 Cornerback Rankings Upset Puts Sherman-Peterson Beef To Rest
- Georgia's Todd Gurley Gunning For 2,000 Yards This Season
Whoa, So Is This The Biggest Field Logo In College History?
OK fine, one bedtime story and that’s it. Let’s begin. Texas A&M Commerce, an NCAA Div. II school from the far-away land of Commerce, Texas, wanted to install a blue field in their Memorial Stadium. But they were told in no uncertain terms by the evil lawyers who lived under the bridge that Boise State had a trademark on blue football fields, and so they couldn’t do it.
So the Texas A&M-Com. people got together and said, “Screw it, we’ll make the world’s biggest field logo.” And so they did.
— John Michaels (@JohnMichaels790) August 8, 2013
They in effect made a yellow field, with some sporadic streaks of green. Holy Moley. Dallas Morning News:
The idea came from a meeting between athletic director Ryan Ivey and football coach Colby Carthel, each entering his first season.
“We talked about being relevant again,” Ivey said. “The question becomes: How do you do that?
“We wanted something that was unique that would help us stand out,” Ivey said.
Big or small, Ivey said he was told the cost would be the same because of the amount of work being done to the field’s substructure.
Essentially, A&M-Commerce has turned its field into a low-cost marketing tool.
“It’s something we couldn’t pass up,” Ivey said.
Marketing tool indeed. I can think of no better way to tell the world — most of which didn’t know you existed until now — that your football program is coming off of two consecutive 1-9 seasons.
- Filed Under:
- Texas A&M Commerce
- Claudia Gadelha is UFC's First Strawweight Champ
- Why Are Buffalo Bills Fans Banning Bon Jovi Music?
- Buffalo Bills Sammy Watkins Stuns with His Impressive Abilities
- 'Harry Potter' Actor and MMA Fighter Found Dead