- Our NBA Power Rankings: Once Again, Everyone Is Underestimating The Spurs
- U.S. Men Smashed The 4x400 Relay Record, Reportedly Received 'Love' Afterwards
- Minnesota Representative's Racist NBA Tweet Leaves A Big Mess
- Oh ... Oh No. Here's The Helmet An Arena League Team Will Be Wearing This Season
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
Brian Kelly Reportedly Interviewed For Philadelphia Eagles Head Coaching Job On Tuesday
Well, it sure didn’t take Brian Kelly long to wash out the foul taste in his mouth after his Fighting Irish’s awful 42-14 loss at the hands of Alabama in the BCS National Championship Game. One day after the game, and one day ago, Kelly interviewed for the Philadelphia Eagles head coaching vacancy.
Kelly jolted out of the country after the interview and wasn’t available for comment, but reports have said that he and the Eagles will resume talks when he gets back this weekend.
The Notre Dame coach would be, well, an interesting hire for the Philadelphia Eagles, who just departed with Andy Reid after 12 mostly prosperous seasons. Kelly did right a Notre Dame ship that had been off-course for a long time, and did it way earlier than anyone anticipated. He took a team that finished 3-9, 7-6 and 6-7 in Charlie Weis’ last three seasons and produced 8-5 records in his first two seasons and a 12-0 record and a national title game bid in this, his third. Regardless of some close wins and a clear overmatch in the championship game, Kelly’s accomplishments cannot be ignored.
That having been said, doing that for a college team in an independent conference is presumably much less challenging than trying to do it in the NFL. It’s not like the Eagles are a team ready to win now — they don’t have a quarterback, guys. Rebuilding the Eagles will be a fairly hefty undertaking, one not necessarily suited for someone with Kelly’s absence of NFL experience.
Some college-to-pro transitions work and some don’t. Maybe Kelly could work for the Eagles, maybe he wouldn’t. It doesn’t exactly scream “perfect fit”, but whatever might subside the PTSD after that Alabama massacre, I guess.
[ESPN, Getty Images]
- Trainer Robert Garcia Spills Marcos Maidana secrets
- Marcos Maidana Drops Jaws
- Tyson Fury Returns to the Ring
- Does Ruslan Provodnikov Strike Fear In Juan Manuel Marquez?