- Davis, Rainey & Brown Among Top Week 3 Waiver Options
- Can The NFL's Off-The-Field Violence Problem Be A Symptom Of Widespread PTSD?
- Massive Freak J.J. Watt Might Become A Serious Tight End Option For The Texans
- Don't Be Offended By This 'Ray Rice Makeup Tutorial' Video: It's Brilliant
- Reggie Bush's Comments On Disciplining Daughter Could Prompt Investigation
Did NY Daily News Take Things Too Far With This ‘Redskins-Nazis-Confederates’ Cartoon?
Opening the morning paper and seeing your team logo displayed like this has to be a shock to the system: once the editorial cartoonists get hold of you, it’s very tough to break away intact.
Since the 16th Century we humans have been skewering unpopular people or institutions with caricature and allusion: which has often been proven to be just as mighty as the sword. But sometimes, things go too far. Does this one by veteran cartoonist Tom Stiglich represent one of those times?
It’s no secret how we at this site feel about the antiquated, sad, infuriating nickname and logo of the Washington D.C. football team. If it was within our power to make Daniel Snyder walk barefoot down the Trail of Tears for even five minutes we would do so. But when you turn up the hyperbole machine to 11, sometimes it actually hurts your cause instead of helping it.
— Dan Steinberg (@dcsportsbog) October 17, 2013
That being said, this New York Daily News cartoon isn’t that farfetched. Our shameful history with the Native American population is indeed rife with stories of genocide and enslavement, and the cartoon here seeks to highlight what these symbols represent, not just what is happening in the current day.
But it seems that every intense debate sooner or later brings comparisons to Hitler, and the side that gets there first is usually the side that loses.
Let’s see how other cartoonists have tackled this issue:
- Filed Under:
- washington redskins
- B.J. Penn Was Called "The Prodigy" for a Reason
- Christy Mack, War Machine and Why the Internet Blames Women for Domestic Violence
- Michelle Nicolini Joins Legacy Fighting Championship
- Savage Punishment for Laying Hands on Referee