- BREAKING: Swimsuit Model Nina Adgal Is Pretty Good At Basketball
- Insults From An Idiot: CNBC's Sports Betting Scam Artist 'Steve Stevens' Won't Stop Sending Us Hilarious And Incoherent Emails
- Roger Federer Could Miss The French Open Due To Paternity Leave
- How To Use 10 Different Machines Without Working Anything Other Than Your Biceps
- Notre Dame's Everett Golson Excited To Return After 2013 Suspension
Disaster In Dallas: A Firsthand Account Of The Calamity That Was Super Bowl XLV
Once you get to know it, Ennis, Texas is probably a lovely place. But the Friday night before the Super Bowl, a quiet town about 35 miles outside of Dallas was the last place we wanted to be. Icy roads had left us stranded just far enough from Dallas for there to be any form of excitement in sight. We felt like dogs staring at a piece of meat just out of reach.
We were on a road trip to the Super Bowl, on our way from New Orleans. But after seeing wrecked cars all over the side of the road and watching an Xterra drive over a guardrail on Highway 45, we decided to wait out the weather in Ennis. Most of us quickly realized it could have been a lot worse.
It wasn’t just the roads leading to Dallas that were unmanageable. The city itself was a disaster. Plane delays, traffic jams and icy sidewalks made getting around the Dallas-Fort Worth area a logistical nightmare.
As Jarrett Bell of USA Today points out, the sprawling metropolis would have had a difficult time handling the festivities even with ideal weather.
Dallas and Fort Worth are separated by 30 miles, and with 134 municipalities across the region involved, the last thing they needed was a blast of a New England winter.
Of course, taxi drivers choosing Super Bowl weekend as the ideal time to go on strike didn’t help matters. You could still get cabs, as many drivers traveled from out of town to Dallas to work for the week, but you had to be prepared to be extorted. Expecting a metered ride? Good luck.
The weather probably also had an effect on the taxi problem.
Pages: 1 2
- Kobe Bryant Not Interested in Playing for Mike D'Antoni Next Season
- Aaron Hernandez's Jailhouse Attack Victim Released
- UFC 170 Salaries Revealed
- Jessie James and NFL Star in Provocative Shoot