- Is A Kobe Bryant Trade On The Horizon? A Few Rumored Scenarios...
- Way Too Early Top 10 Starting Pitchers for 2015 Fantasy Baseball
- Grading ESPN's 4 Worst Fantasy Projections For Week 9
- Jerry Jones Is Going To Get Tony Romo Killed
- Ace Jon Lester Makes Pitch For Young Pal Fighting Cancer
Fan Falls To His Death At Candlestick Park
A 30-year-old fan fell to his death at Candlestick Park today during the 49ers’ game with the Green Bay Packers, say police. According to CNN, the man was walking on one of Candlestick’s elevated walkways (escalators) when he fell to the concrete below.
“Multiple independent witnesses indicated he appeared to be intoxicated prior to his fall,” according to a news release from the San Francisco police.
Candlestick Park, which was built in 1960, was home to the San Francisco Giants from 1960-2000, and the 49ers from 1971 to present. It’s schedule to be demolished this summer, with the 49ers moving to a new home in Santa Clara.
Sadly, it isn’t the first falling death at the stadium. In 2007 a fan at a 49ers game tried to jump between two ramps inside the stadium died when fell onto the mezzanine section. There were also two deaths from falls in the 1980s.
San Francisco Chronicle:
Kretschman had reportedly taken a break from watching the football game a few minutes before the end of the first half, according to San Francisco Police Sgt. Neville Gittens. Police said that Kretschman went to the exterior of the stadium to sit on a ramp wall between sections 7 and 5, but seemed to misjudge the wall and fell 20 feet to the mezzanine level. He was pronounced dead at the scene, according to police.
Authorities said it was the first death at Monster Park — formerly known as Candlestick Park — since two fans fell to the death in the 1980s. One of those fatalities was a man who attempted to ride a dumpster down the concourse and the second when a fan tumbled on a rainy day from the upper deck while booing then manager Frank Robinson following a San Francisco Giants loss to the Atlanta Braves.
- Filed Under:
- Candlestick Park
- Danica Patrick Says She's Sick of Being Sexy
- So What Does Bill Belichick Think About Weed?
- Deion Sanders: Johnny Manziel Has 'Ghetto Tendencies'
- The Top 10 Worst Yankee Contracts