- BREAKING: Swimsuit Model Nina Adgal Is Pretty Good At Basketball
- Insults From An Idiot: CNBC's Sports Betting Scam Artist 'Steve Stevens' Won't Stop Sending Us Hilarious And Incoherent Emails
- Roger Federer Could Miss The French Open Due To Paternity Leave
- How To Use 10 Different Machines Without Working Anything Other Than Your Biceps
- Notre Dame's Everett Golson Excited To Return After 2013 Suspension
Former Middle Tennessee Kicker Alan Gendreau Is Trying To Become The First Openly Gay NFL Player
There has never been a publicly, openly gay, active player in the NFL or Division I college football. But former Middle Tennessee State kicker Alan Gendreau was out of the closet to his teammates while playing, and he recently disclosed his story to Cyd Zeigler of Outsports.com. Gendreau finished his college career in 2011, but he is trying to make it in the NFL, this season. He looked to have a good shot after his junior season, but then dropped off his senior season. He can’t be drafted (and probably wouldn’t have been anyway), but he hopes get an OTA invite and make a team. This Norwegian YouTube dude got a contract, so it’s not at all farfetched for a guy who was legitimately good in college.
So, he didn’t have any problems in college. That doesn’t ensure a comfortable environment for a gay NFLer, but it’s encouraging. OutSports also addressed the obvious kicker stereotypes that will come up.
Like a lesbian basketball player, a gay kicker plays to a stereotype. In a sport defined by hard hits and toughness, only on rare occasions — if there’s a broken play — does the kicker hit or get hit. Bill Gramática famously ended his 2001 season with a torn ACL after simply jumping to celebrate a field goal for the Arizona Cardinals.
If a borderline NFL kicking talent can sustain a comfortable career while being openly gay, then it’s unlikely others will have problems. And once one domino falls, however many other dominos are hiding will start to feel comfortable, themselves. Now, he’s just got to convince a team he’s good enough. We’ll be cheering him on.
- The Hottest Hockey Wives and Girlfriends
- FOX Sports' Joe Buck Ties The Knot With Someone In The Industry
- I Could Make More Money at McDonalds
- Jessie James and NFL Star in Provocative Shoot