- FANTASY FOOTBALL: Week 8 QB Rankings, Starts & Sleepers
- Hunter Pence Making World More Educated, One Library Book At A Time
- Your Comprehensive Guide To Giants-Royals World Series Intangibles
- KICKERS HAVE ALL THE FUN: Pornstar Tells Excellent Sebastian Janikowski Story
- Browns Offensive Line Using Smarts, Scheme To Pave Way To Solid Start
How Much Is The Number 24 Worth? About $50,000 If You Ask Darrelle Revis
When players are traded from one team to another, it is usually assumed that if the incoming player is a superstar, he will be able to retain whatever number he previously wore if he wants to. There are often small deals between the incoming player and the guy who has his number, sometimes involving cash and sometimes including diapers, but usually just involving some free meals or favors.
The dollar amounts on these deals usually don’t get too out of hand, but it seems that Darrelle Revis has agreed to pay Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety a whopping $50,000 for the number 24, according to UniWatch.
This certainly isn’t as exciting as the time that Clinton Portis agreed to pay Ifeanyi Ohalete $40,000 for the number 26 jersey back in 2004, which eventually ended up in a civil lawsuit after Portis stopped paying Ohalete when he was released. But it is pretty ridiculous that professional athletes are shelling out more than a lot of people make in a year to have a specific number stitched on their jersey.
The Portis situation, and now the Revis situation, are the exception to the rule. I can only imagine how the conversation between Barron and Revis went down. They probably agreed to have a clandestine meeting on a dock in Tampa Bay after sundown. Barron was just about to blurt out that Revis can have the number if he pays for a couple lunches, but Revis hands Barron a briefcase. “I want what’s mine,” Revis says. And then gets in his car and drives away.
Yep, let’s just pretend that that’s how it went down.
- Carmelo Anthony Is 'Magnetic,' According To His Shirt
- Jack White Throws Out Saddest First Pitch Ever
- Seahawks QB Russell Wilson Files for Divorce
- Tom Brady Admits Weird Relationship Behavior