- Iowa State Fans Mock Marcus Smart With Coordinated Mass Flopping Routine (Genius)
- Johnny Weir And Tara Lapinski Commentate 30 Rock's Lunchtime Free Skate
- How Does Lionel Messi's On-Field Vomit Attack Stack Up Against The 7 Grossest Puke Vids In Sports History?
- Everybody Is Hating On The NBA's Sleeved Jerseys
- Florida Basketball 'Chasing Greatness' In The Season's Stretch Run
How Much Is The Number 24 Worth? About $50,000 If You Ask Darrelle Revis
When players are traded from one team to another, it is usually assumed that if the incoming player is a superstar, he will be able to retain whatever number he previously wore if he wants to. There are often small deals between the incoming player and the guy who has his number, sometimes involving cash and sometimes including diapers, but usually just involving some free meals or favors.
The dollar amounts on these deals usually don’t get too out of hand, but it seems that Darrelle Revis has agreed to pay Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety a whopping $50,000 for the number 24, according to UniWatch.
This certainly isn’t as exciting as the time that Clinton Portis agreed to pay Ifeanyi Ohalete $40,000 for the number 26 jersey back in 2004, which eventually ended up in a civil lawsuit after Portis stopped paying Ohalete when he was released. But it is pretty ridiculous that professional athletes are shelling out more than a lot of people make in a year to have a specific number stitched on their jersey.
The Portis situation, and now the Revis situation, are the exception to the rule. I can only imagine how the conversation between Barron and Revis went down. They probably agreed to have a clandestine meeting on a dock in Tampa Bay after sundown. Barron was just about to blurt out that Revis can have the number if he pays for a couple lunches, but Revis hands Barron a briefcase. “I want what’s mine,” Revis says. And then gets in his car and drives away.
Yep, let’s just pretend that that’s how it went down.
- Cavaliers' Andrew Bynum Suspended For Scandalous Affair?!
- 15 Hottest Daughters of Professional Athletes
- Which Golfer Has This Sick California Mansion?
- Dez Bryant Releases Shocking Statement